Swapping from 6 disc in dash to gb changer?

Dykzeulb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So the wife's in dash alpine unit hit the fan, won't play eject or nothing, the parts car has a working 6 disc in the gb, and a tape combo in the dash, what is needed to be done to swap, or can it be done?

The wiring harness would be interesting. The Alpine unit has all three connectors plugged in - the harness that normally connects to the changer also carries the steering wheel controls and I expect a few other things. So you'd need to pull the harness from the changer and modify the other car's harness appropriately. You would definitely need the correct tool to remove the pins from the connectors.

I had a problem with the Alpine dash unit in my '02 Sport and decided to buy an upgrade. The local 'CarTunes' suggested a tune-up on the existing unit before replacing it. It cost me fifty dollars but it has worked just fine since the tune-up.

KS

They took it out of the dash and sent it to the repair outfit, and I didn't get it back for several days. But that was five years ago and I've had no further trouble.

Last edited:
Hmm...I wonder what needs to be done to "tune-up" the existing 6 disc... Anyone have any input?

Sounds like the changer is more of a PITA than it is worth..

It's a disassembly, lube, reassembly. Need some special tools. I took a whack at it, didn't get anywhere.
This changer design is particularly prone to jams.

Depending on the year of your LS I believe that the wiring harness for in GB changer is already in your car. It is behind the glove box liner and has a protective cap on it. You would need to change the glove box liners and support brackets and just plug it in and it should work. I added a GB changer to my '00 LS and it plug and play.

Members online

No members online now.
Back