Suspension

Screenshot_20210124-081312_eBay.jpg

FWIW
I have bought springs and Shock absorbers for three different LSes both 1st and 2nd Gen ...never had any issues with these used shocks and springs from Irvine Texes Ebay store/seller Used but very good quality and excellent ride ...the best part is they came off a Lincoln LS so they are simply plug and play for lack of better terms ...they mount up perfect

I have Sensen bare struts waiting to go on. Ordered them from eBay. I found an open box deal on the front pair for $51. Rear pair cost $105. Cant beat that. I dont expect them to be fantastic, but the ones on it now, rounding 150k, are probably stock. They all feel blown out. Lots of lift, dip, and body roll. Its basically a work car so im just looking to make it "alright".

Truthfully, ive ran this brand on a few vehicles, and they are on par with your common brands, like kyb, monroe, and private store labels. But they usually cost a decent amount less than those do at retail. They have a twin tube system, so its just your basic strut. Not high performance mono tube, or anything fancy.

I have the tools and spring comprssors, so labor cost isnt an issue for me, even if i end up having to them again later on. But ive never had any disappointments from the brand, so i figure theyll be good for at least 50k.

Screenshot_20210124-155956_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
How to tell if shocks are bad?

I don't know if mine are fine or trashed, I get somewhat of a rough ride but I thought that's just how LSes are.

Bounce test checks out, it stabilizes right after you push it down

I don't know if mine are fine or trashed, I get somewhat of a rough ride but I thought that's just how LSes are.

If they got more than 60k on them, they're prolly bad, lol

Sounds like you're all good, mine are shot I know that for sure it's way to floaty and uncontrolled and bounce check does not check out.

If they got more than 60k on them, they're prolly bad, lol

The original OEM shocks on my LS were still acceptible at 134K miles. The OEM Jag stuff I installed at that point has 100k on them now and shows no signs of mechanical failure or diminished function... and will probably last for another 50k.

The original OEM shocks on my LS were still acceptible at 134K miles. The OEM Jag stuff I installed at that point has 100k on them now and shows no signs of mechanical failure or diminished function... and will probably last for another 50k.
Oh wow, that's pretty good. Everything I've read says they go bad at 50-100k, but that's general info, they must made these better for this car then. Good to know, thanks.

And might I say that I have had a set of OEM shocks go well into the 250K Mileage range and never were bad even when I had the car hauled away to the junkyard!

And might I say that I have had a set of OEM shocks go well into the 250K Mileage range and never were bad even when I had the car hauled away to the junkyard!
Guess I don't need new ones then, I only got 160k on mine! Nice

I wouldn't say that you don't need them or that you do! A lot of stuff factors into them lasting or not lasting. I am sure a shop that deals with suspension stuff could tell you if they are good or bad easily and I would likely do that if in question at all. Just make sure they have good reviews and such before you take it cause some will lie their butts off to make a sale. But before you go make dang sure the shocks are dry cause if they suddenly appear wet at least you know that shop is trying to screw you. And maybe even take pictures of it just in case so you can call them out on their BS if that were to happen.

Mine look a little rusty but I don't see anything leaking out of them and I wouldn't say the ride is bad. However I'm far from a suspension expert and I've never had the opportunity to feel this car new and fresh so I guess I don't really have a frame of reference to know whether they're worn out or not. Everything I read on the internet says they're usually shot from 50 to 100K so that's why I was going to replace them, but maybe I should consult an expert before I waste my time doing that then. She definitely handles better than my F-350!

Mine look a little rusty but I don't see anything leaking out of them and I wouldn't say the ride is bad. However I'm far from a suspension expert and I've never had the opportunity to feel this car new and fresh so I guess I don't really have a frame of reference to know whether they're worn out or not. Everything I read on the internet says they're usually shot from 50 to 100K so that's why I was going to replace them, but maybe I should consult an expert before I waste my time doing that then. She definitely handles better than my F-350!
How do the tires look on it ? Are they wearing evenly?

Oh wow, that's pretty good. Everything I've read says they go bad at 50-100k, but that's general info, they must made these better for this car then. Good to know, thanks.

This may be true for regular type shocks, and basic struts... but not the "coil over" style that the LS uses or are found on performance style vehicles. I typically change standard shock around 50k, and struts at around 100k.

My ex's Escape has 150k on the original struts. While they should be changed, they aren't horrible. The time is coming though.

How do the tires look on it ? Are they wearing evenly?
They look evenly worn but they are way old and three different brands. I'm not sure how long they've been on the car as I've only owned it for two and a half months, I've replaced the front control arms and still need to do some bushings and links and then get an alignment and new tires. I put about 2,000 miles on it since I've had it and don't notice any weird wearing yet even though I've changed the upper control arms.

They look evenly worn but they are way old and three different brands. I'm not sure how long they've been on the car as I've only owned it for two and a half months, I've replaced the front control arms and still need to do some bushings and links and then get an alignment and new tires. I put about 2,000 miles on it since I've had it and don't notice any weird wearing yet even though I've changed the upper control arms.
If using 3 different brands of tires might I suggest to try to get the tires all the same first before messing around with any suspension stuff! I would still have someone check the suspension stuff out and replace anything that is really needed to be replaced and then I would get a matching set of quality tires and it will make a major difference. Order a quality set of tires from a place like tire rack and save a crap load of money! I know I got a set of Michelin pilot's cheap that way.

If you were to change the shocks on your LS... with new OEM shocks, you would probably notice a difference. The KYB's would probably hold up for 12-18 months.

For KYB, Koni, and a couple other high performance shock manufacturers... the LS was mostly an afterthought. Anything decent they DID make in the past... was phased out rather quickly due to low demand.

If using 3 different brands of tires might I suggest to try to get the tires all the same first before messing around with any suspension stuff! I would still have someone check the suspension stuff out and replace anything that is really needed to be replaced and then I would get a matching set of quality tires and it will make a major difference. Order a quality set of tires from a place like tire rack and save a crap load of money! I know I got a set of Michelin pilot's cheap that way.
nah, my suspension is all loose, bushings, tie rod ends and the little link things, I want to get the suspension fixed and tight before I put on new tires, let it wear out these old ones instead of new tires. I'm replacing slowly as I can afford cause I have so many other issues. Finally got my coolant leaks stopped and my EGR valve replaced, now to fix my p0191 code issue and get it running good and then it's on to suspension and brakes and tires is my plan.

Last edited:

For the LS, the design goal was 150K miles. Sorry, I don't recall the source for that info.

Edit: I should have more accurately said "For the DEW98..."

My 05 had 123k miles and the shocks were still nice and tight and handled corners like a champ, my current second vehicle a 2012 focus titanium hatchback has 107k miles and the shocks are still nice and working properly. But also my current 06 LS only has 83k miles and the shocks are blown. So if the LS feels really floaty and uncontrolled and doesnt settle quick after doing a bounce test they are most likely shot. You could also find the LS'S OEM ride height and use a tape measure and measure your ride height that's also one way to tell if shocks or springs are broke.

Last edited:
Note...the Springs are known to crack/break on bottom part of absorber if car is from the midwest due to salt and liquid brine dropped on roads in the winter ...the one sure way to know if shock absorbers are needing to be replaced is the ride of your LS ...the suspension should be stiff but not clunking to the point you feel it and cringe lol ...also should not be floaty like Lincoln05V8 already said ...it should feel sporty and tight around sharp turns ...after finding a unicorn of OE Motorcraft shock absorbers brand new in box off craigslist and experiencing how the original ride feels on my V8 LSE I can easily go around a 35mph posted turns doing far greater speeds with ease ( prefer not to say ) lol

Car is currently in Las Vegas where I bought it, think originally it was from new York though so I'll check the springs, thanks

I think I bought the last new OEM sport front struts in November 2019. They came from 2 different Dealerships. One was marked with a short white paint stripe, the other with a white polka dot sticker. I located them using either fordparts.com or Ford Parts Giant. Since we have a couple of newbies here and I didn't see it mentioned, Sport Shocks have a white marking, Euro-Ride shocks have a lavender and Luxury ride have a yellow marking. I looked for the following 6-7 months for a pair of rears to no avail. I have since decided to go with the Bilstien B6, on the rear, but that is a project in the far future.

I think I bought the last new OEM sport front struts in November 2019. They came from 2 different Dealerships. One was marked with a short white paint stripe, the other with a white polka dot sticker. I located them using either fordparts.com or Ford Parts Giant. Since we have a couple of newbies here and I didn't see it mentioned, Sport Shocks have a white marking, Euro-Ride shocks have a lavender and Luxury ride have a yellow marking. I looked for the following 6-7 months for a pair of rears to no avail. I have since decided to go with the Bilstien B6, on the rear, but that is a project in the far future.
I might be wrong but I think the fronts can still be sourced. I had a set lined up last year on my Gen 1 but went a different route. But also I think you will want to use Blisteins on both the front and back if going that route cause there are some differences. I am pretty sure I had asked a question about mixing up the pairs like you seem to be doing and was advised against that idea.

I looked for the following 6-7 months for a pair of rears to no avail. I have since decided to go with the Bilstien B6, on the rear, but that is a project in the far future.

DO NOT mix shocks!!! The B4 Bilsteins are stiffer than new OEM LS Shocks. The B6 Bilteins are even more stiff.

By putting either Bilstein version on the rear of your LS... it will make the car "nose heavy" and the back end "light" ... causing handling issues.

The back end will want to "come around" on turns or curves.

Again... NEVER mix shocks. Big no no.

Members online

No members online now.
Back