Suspension Rattle Frustration

stincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
Here's hoping somebody has a suggestion for a right front rattle. I have replaced:
upper control arms and lower ball joints, both sets of strut rod bushings and the sway bar links and bushings and nothing has made a difference.
It doesn't sound like a rattle so much as as if something is loose. On some kinds of textured concrete surfaces it sets up almost a washboard feel even tho the steering feels really tight. I spoke to a mechanic who has owned 6 Mark 8's himself and he is stumped too. It doesn't sound like the washer at the top of the strut mount as it's a harder hitting sound than than I think that would be.
Any suggestions besides going to springs?
Thanks.

You need to have somebody drive your car while your are in the passenger seat and listen really close for the rattles. Is it coming from the left side or the right side? Since you've had a complete front end job, go back and make sure everything is tight. Check your inner and outer tie rods.

Thanks for the suggestions. It is definitely the right front...unless the rear is chipping in too. Tie rod ends are nice and tight and so is the steering. I expected it to be either the the strut rod bushings or sway bar links but no such luck.

Could be the air intake resonator below the box bouncing around like mine is doing...I'm going to take it out when I have time

Could also be the rims center cap jingling around. Brake anti-rattle clip broken, loose bolt on something...ect ect

I see you say you replace the lower ball joints. Was it just the ball joints because if so maybe the bushing in the control arm is shot and it is moving around some. I would look there.

-Nothing in the glove box
-the air box isn't connected to the resonator or the car so I'll try securing that some how
-Octastar so no center cap rattle
-anti rattle clips in place
-the control arms were done so the bushings should be good.. will check again
- it was doing it before I changed the fuel filter but I need to check that because it would just my luck for it to be something like that...totally unrelated to all the stuff I thought it would be!

something in the air shocks comes apart sometimes. arnott's are bad about doing that and rattling.

something in the air shocks comes apart sometimes. arnott's are bad about doing that and rattling.

+1, you can't see the shock inside the front bags...those could be your noise..even if still bouncy ....deflate them and recheck (last resort if you can't find anything) else

Slip it in neutral and see if it still does it. Check heat shields.

Do you have Arnott struts? If so I bet that is your problem.

I had this happen to me on one Arnott strut. It was a slight click/rattle. I could slightky rock the front end arround to hear it. Also heard it while driving. Even cut the strut open thinking I damaged it. Never could figure it out. Switched to OEM struts and am naturally much happier.

Update on what it isn't:
Fuel line, Sway bar links were done, I think the bags/shocks are OEM but someone prior to me has been mucking with the suspension because there is a distribution junction under where the air box sits and a air pressure gauge with a schraeder valve which I assume is for pumping or venting manually...how would I tell if they are Arnott's
I wonder if a previous owner mucked something up with a shock mount. I have replaced the rear mounts already with Jay's excellent pieces but am more than a little reluctant to mess with the fronts except as Sapper says as a last resort...to say nothing of what I've already put into bushings, control arms and links. The front isn't bouncy in the least and the ride height etc is all within original spec.
Looks like I'm running out of options 'tho...might have to wait for funding...it's always nice to have a project to look forward to, right?

How bout a bunch of pictures of all your stuffs....pics are fun!

And helpful

...how would I tell if they are Arnott's?...

If the air shock is an Arnott, it will say "Arnott" on the air spring itself. Arnott air shocks are all metal construction with no plastic parts like GEN2 OEM's. I think the GEN1's had the all metal front shocks too.

How bout a bunch of pictures of all your stuffs....pics are fun!

And helpful

+1

Pics or it didn't happen;)

Will be out of town for the next 2 weeks but will post some pics when I get back...if I can figure out how to do a video with the audio might be even better in terms of diagnosing...

Will be out of town for the next 2 weeks but will post some pics when I get back...if I can figure out how to do a video with the audio might be even better in terms of diagnosing...

Not really, unless you can record in stereo ...and whomever is listening to it has surround

If the air shock is an Arnott, it will say "Arnott" on the air spring itself. Arnott air shocks are all metal construction with no plastic parts like GEN2 OEM's.

The Ford Gen2 struts are WAY WAY better than those Arnots. Those metal tops are so cheap. Especially the solenoid port. It bends soo easy.

The Ford Gen2 struts are WAY WAY better than those Arnots. Those metal tops are so cheap. Especially the solenoid port. It bends soo easy.

True. OEM air SHOCKS (Mark VIII's don't have McPherson struts:D) will always be better than aftermarket. I know about Arnott. But I had to use their shocks out of necessity due to the fact that I'm broke and couldn't afford OEM (two Arnott shocks for less than half the price of one OEM). And now my passenger side front shock is acting up. Just over a year old too:( Anyway, I'll deal with it until I can get another one. If there was a way to replace the shock without having to buy the whole assembly that would be ideal. The air spring itself is fine. But it seems there is something wrong with the shock. Maybe I'll get this car right some day.

Members online

No members online now.
Back