Suspension noise and

Marcus101

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 05 Lincoln LS V8 has recently been making a creaking noise when hitting bumps or going over bumps slowly in parking lots, etc.

Could this be worn suspension components? 196k as of today. ABS light has been on for months with the 'check advance trac' message (not sure if this is related).

Also, I think my starter is going as sometimes it doesn't turn over when I turn the key a few times. Any ideas?

My 05 Lincoln LS V8 has recently been making a creaking noise when hitting bumps or going over bumps slowly in parking lots, etc.

Could this be worn suspension components? 196k as of today. ...

Yes, it very likely is. Is the noise coming from the front or the back. If it's the back, then it's the control arm bushings. The control arms are not hard at all the change out yourself. No realignment needed. However, when you look back there, you'll see that your rear toe links are completely worn out. These are easy to replace too, but a realignment will be required for those.

The front control arms are somewhat more difficult.

... ABS light has been on for months with the 'check advance trac' message (not sure if this is related)...

No, it's not related. Still, I would really want to fix that. The odds are good that it will be an inexpensive fix too. First step is to see what the DTCs are. (Note that not all code readers can read the ABS codes.)

...Also, I think my starter is going as sometimes it doesn't turn over when I turn the key a few times. Any ideas?

Usually, if it is the starter, then you have to bump the starter to get it to go, just turning the key on and off usually wouldn't do it.

(Sorry, but so many people get this wrong, let's be sure we are talking the same language.)
Start - could mean the starter engages and turns the crankshaft, or could mean the engine fires up and runs on its own.
Turn over - means the starter engages and turns the crankshaft. Does not indicate if the engine runs or not.
Runs - starter turns the crankshaft and the engine fires up and runs.

So, when you say it won't turn over, do you really mean that the starter doesn't engage and turn the crankshaft (no sounds coming from the engine compartment), or do you just mean that the engine doesn't catch and run?

What is the PATS light doing when the starter isn't engaging?

Yes, it very likely is. Is the noise coming from the front or the back. If it's the back, then it's the control arm bushings. The control arms are not hard at all the change out yourself. No realignment needed. However, when you look back there, you'll see that your rear toe links are completely worn out. These are easy to replace too, but a realignment will be required for those.

The front control arms are somewhat more difficult.

No, it's not related. Still, I would really want to fix that. The odds are good that it will be an inexpensive fix too. First step is to see what the DTCs are. (Note that not all code readers can read the ABS codes.)

Usually, if it is the starter, then you have to bump the starter to get it to go, just turning the key on and off usually wouldn't do it.

(Sorry, but so many people get this wrong, let's be sure we are talking the same language.)
Start - could mean the starter engages and turns the crankshaft, or could mean the engine fires up and runs on its own.
Turn over - means the starter engages and turns the crankshaft. Does not indicate if the engine runs or not.
Runs - starter turns the crankshaft and the engine fires up and runs.

So, when you say it won't turn over, do you really mean that the starter doesn't engage and turn the crankshaft (no sounds coming from the engine compartment), or do you just mean that the engine doesn't catch and run?

What is the PATS light doing when the starter isn't engaging?

I believe it's coming from the rear as the 'creaking' sound only occurs when the rear of the vehicle goes up and drops down from a bump on the road/paved surface.

Are rear control arms expensive? And roughly how long would it take to change them? If less than 2 hours I would get my mechanic to do it and buy the part myself to save money.

As for the starter, I hear a 'click' sound whenever I try to turn the engine on but no other sounds. So I'd say the engine doesn't catch and run. I am not sure what the PATS light is but when I try to start the engine and it clicks, all the lights go off and stay off until I return the key to the original position.

Two hours per side is fair, assuming replacement of both the upper and the lower arms.
Define "expensive." Upper arms are $150 for passenger side, $160 for driver's side. Lower arms are $270 for the passenger side, and $240 for the driver's side. You will also need some nuts (can't be reused) and bolts (shouldn't be reused), that will add some more to the total.
Rear toe links are $140 x 2. You'll probably need stabilizer links too, $50 x 2.

Of course, if you do all that, you really should replace the shocks too. The problem there is that AFAIK, there are no good shocks left to get. They stopped making the factory ones, and I haven't heard anything good about any of the aftermarket ones yet.

I believe it's coming from the rear as the 'creaking' sound only occurs when the rear of the vehicle goes up and drops down from a bump on the road/paved surface.

Are rear control arms expensive? And roughly how long would it take to change them? If less than 2 hours I would get my mechanic to do it and buy the part myself to save money.

As for the starter, I hear a 'click' sound whenever I try to turn the engine on but no other sounds. So I'd say the engine doesn't catch and run. I am not sure what the PATS light is but when I try to start the engine and it clicks, all the lights go off and stay off until I return the key to the original position.
On EBay website there is used shocks in good condition Factory shocks from Texas that are in decent shape due to not having harsh Midwest winters ....salt, extreme frigid minus degree weather and so forth check it out and see what you think I believe the original set of shocks go for $300 something plus shipping

Members online

Back