Suspension bolt replacement

rgorke

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Going to be doing my rear half axle next weekend. The manual states that suspension bolts and nuts should be discarded when they are removed. Is this a hard and fast rule? Usually the nyloc nuts are one and done but if I use some blue loctite (as I have seen many do) would that be ok?

and, does anyone know the thread size and pitch for the rear sway links?

I reused all of my bolts and added blue Loc-tite... and no issues so far.

However... Loc-tite now has a new orange version. It is supposed to have the holding power of the red... but requires no heat to remove the fasteners.

This will be the one I will use from now on... except for still using the green on ball joint nuts.

I reused all of my bolts and added blue Loc-tite... and no issues so far.

However... Loc-tite now has a new orange version. It is supposed to have the holding power of the red... but requires no heat to remove the fasteners.

This will be the one I will use from now on... except for still using the green on ball joint nuts.
What’s the green?

The problem is it's tough to tell if the bolts are TTY. They shouldn't be, but..... That said, I would be pretty confident reusing suspension bolts. I would not reuse anything in the engine or the rest of the drivetrain that they say should be replaced though.

You can use hardware store nylocks with washers. Several of the bolts have various bosses and flanges, so generic replacements might not work right. But the nuts aren't that special. Some have an integrated washer, which is nice, but a standard nut+washer works fine.

They are not TTY, AFAIK. However, the rear shock bolt is pretty odd. You can't get them anymore, so I guess you'll just have to clean the old bolt and put Loctite on the threads.

Members online

No members online now.
Back