Sure could use some help.

Bob Hubbard

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I am going to install a new audio system in my bird, and have run into a major problem.
I originally thought I would opt for a conversion of my stock radio, but after reading the info on the sites that do this conversion, I can't find one that would install a usb port on the front of the radio, and some of the reviews on these products (especially custon autosound) say they are crap, and the quality leaves much to be desired.
Not wanting to cut up the dash, I decided I would like to put the unit under the front seat.
This would solve the problem, but create a much bigger one.
Under the seat, it would need an rf remote that does not need a line of sight to operate the radio, and whatever is plugged into it.
Problem is, there isn't one manufacturer that makes one for an aftermarket radio.
I have posted this problem on all the automotive sites I belong too, and some have given me links to companies that DO sell these type of remotes, and they wind up being a wild goose chase.
Some have said they used them on their vehicles, but can't tell me the exact unit they used, or exactly what it controlled, leading me to think they are full of it.
One member of another forum said he didn't use a radio, and has his mp3 plugged into his amp.
I asked him how he did that, and his reply was, I ran a "cord" from the mp3 to the amp.
Didn't say what kind of cord (which obviously would have been a cable) he used.
I contacted a couple electronic stores, asking if amps came with a usb port.
None did, and I have never seen a mp3 that didn't have a usb connection.
So this leads me to think connecting a mp3 directly to an amp is bogus at best.
These are the problems I am running into.
It seems no one wants to offer something I can use.
I am up against a wall with this unit because the only option left is to cut the dash to install the unit.
If any of you know for sure what company produces an rf remote that WILL operate an aftermarket radio, and everything connected to it, I would be most appreciative of your help.
One member on another forum gave me a link to a comp[any called Scosche.
True, they make an rf remote to operate an ipod, or other mp3 player, but not one for an aftermarket radio.
The reason I know this is because I just finished an online chat with one of the techs from that company, and he said they don't make an rf remote that will control an after market radio, or for that matter an ipod or other mp3 player connected to a radio.
Thanks in advance.
Bob.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not running USB to the amp, he's running a line from the headphone jack to the amp. That will actually work with any portable audio player; all you need is a cable with a 3.5mm stereo minijack on one end. At the other end, you strip the wires and connect them directly to the terminals on the amp. It may not give you the best sound in the world, but that old T-Bird isn't exactly going to be the best soundstage in the world, either. (I loves me some old T-Birds, but let's be realistic about their limitations.)

You could also look for a head unit with a wired remote, then mount the remote on a hinge so it stows under the dash. That's what I did with the readout/IR receiver for the Alpine CD changer in my Explorer--I mounted an inexpensive door hinge to the underside of the dash, mounted the readout to that, then used a piece of spring steel (a shipping band, actually) bent to shape to keep it up under the dash when not in use.

You could do the same with the receiver for an IR repeater; for that matter, you could probably mount the IR repeater's receiver back on or near the firewall, out of sight, and still have it work. In fact, the farther you get it under the dash, the better it will work, because you'll get less interference from sunlight.

What are these repeaters connected too?
The IR repeaters I've used have a receiver, a power supply, and an emitter. The receiver just has to be somewhere it can see the IR from the remote; the emitter is placed over the IR receiver on the receiving device (the head unit, in this case). The emitter has a cabled connection back to the receiver.

The IR repeaters I've used have a receiver, a power supply, and an emitter. The receiver just has to be somewhere it can see the IR from the remote; the emitter is placed over the IR receiver on the receiving device (the head unit, in this case). The emitter has a cabled connection back to the receiver.

This is all new to me, so I ask that you bear with me, even if the questions sound stupid.
First off, my remote that came with the radio, is wireless.
Does that matter?
Second, You stated, "The emitter is placed over the IR receiver on the receiving device".
What do you mean by "placed over"?
Third. You stated, "the receiver just has to be somewhere it can see the IR from the remote"
Does that mean the repeater receiver must be in a place where the IR from the remote has an unobstructed line to the the repeater receiver?
And lastly, the repeater receiver most likely would be mounted roughly 18" higher than the floor level where the radio is to be mounted under the seat.
At that level, the radio, and the emitter would not be visible to the repeater receiver.
Will that make a difference in how my wireless remote will send commands, and the radio/receiver picks up those commands?
Thanks for all your help.
Bob.

I'm assuming the remote is IR (an RF remote should just work), so the repeater should work fine.

An IR repeater has three components: an IR receiver, a power supply, and an IR emitter. The IR receiver receives the signals from your wireless remote and sends them down a cable to the IR emitter, and that IR emitter is what actually sends them into the head unit's built-in IR receiver. The repeater's receiver doesn't have to see the head unit, you just have to be able to run a thin cable from it to the head unit. At work, I have IR repeaters being used where the remote and the equipment being controlled are in separate rooms.

Somewhere on the face of the head unit there's a built-in IR receiver for the remote; that's where the repeater's IR emitter gets stuck. Sometimes this built-in receiver is easy to find, because there will often be a small circular translucent "window" surrounded by opaque plastic or there may be a little "IR" symbol next to it. (Sometimes you can look in the head unit's manual and find a diagram of the front panel that will show you the location of the IR receiver.)

As noted above, the IR repeater kit should come with a receiver, power supply, and the emitter. The receiver goes under the dash; it just needs to be placed where you can get a clear line of sight between it and your remote. The emitter assembly will have a long cable with an emitter bud on one end and, most likely, what looks like a 3.5mm mono earphone plug on the other end; that plugs into the repeater's receiver, and the emitter bud gets stuck to the front of the head unit over the aforementioned translucent window. (The emitter bud usually has some crappy pre-installed adhesive on it; you'll get the best results if you use that to stick it to the head unit, then apply gaffer's tape over the emitter to hold it in place.)

These things are actually really simple to install; it'll make a lot more sense when you see it the kit.

Thanks for you answers.
You are right to the point in explaining it so that now I can do this install where I originally wanted.
I can't thank you enough.
You took the time to explain it, which I couldn't find anyone to do.
Even the jerks in the store where I bought the head unit and speakers couldn't explain the process to me.
I am sure that now I can get busy on this.
One more question.
Is there one particular repeater you prefer that perhaps I should get?
Thanks again,
Bob.

You know, I don't remember which brands of repeaters we have installed; we generally use what the A/V vendors supply. I remember several of them having different brand names, but they all looked the same and they all seem to work equally well.

have you looked at the retro sound model one?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ybpkj5eabmU/p_068RETRO1/Retrosound-Model-One.html?tab=detailed_info
has USB on the front, looks like mini usb though, but with a really small usb to mini usb jack it would do the trick. I think the old one may be the one you might want, the newer style off of the retro one site has the USB on a seperate mountable doohickey.
http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/1

A couple of things with that unit, they don't make one for the 66 tbird, and according to the upper right side of their page, the unit has been discontinued.
I ordered the repeater, and it should be here tomorrow.
Maybe over the week end I can get started on the installation.
Bob.

Wow I didn't see that before, sorry. I was planning on putting one into my sx/4 when I still had it (and they were still being produced). Good luck with your install.

Members online

No members online now.
Back