SUPER ! my CEL light .

ShortCircutLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I got into my car after going to the gas station and I noticed my CEL was on. So i pulled over shut the car off, waited awhile then turned it back on. The CEL just came on and stayed on. It didnt flash or anything.:( All my fluids are level and the car still drives fine. I dont hear anything that might give me an idea of what is wrong either. I searched here and on google/ yahoo. and I didnt find much. I guess my question here is. Do you guys think it ok for me to drive the car with a solid CEL to my mechaics so he can read the codes ? I called him but he has'nt called be back yet.
Thanks in advance :)

Yes, as long as it isn't flashing you are okay to drive it to your mechanic.

Cool, thanks fellas ! I just spoke with him as well. I'm going over there tomorrow on my way home from work. I was'nt sure if it was a flashing light or a solid light that was supposed to get your attention. Well.. actually they both do that job. Anyway.....

Probably O2 sensors, had the same thing. Noticed reduced power/mileage?

Within a couple of months of owning my car I got a CEL that stayed on. Got the codes and it pointed to the o2 sensor. Not a hard fix and not expensive. Good luck.

My buddies 01v8
His cel stays on. He just looks over it
Cause he's had to replace just about everything
On the motor.
He just rolled over 100,000 miles on his
And it sounds like either his main bearings or
The rod bearings are knocking... It's sad.

Go to Autozone, Advance etc. and have them read your codes. The stores in my area will not reset it though. I have my own reader now.

I personally think investing in a code reader is a great idea. Especially for times like this. Mine was just fixed, but my o2 sensors were setting it off...

Mine stayed on for a while and went away cane back and went away. Not flashing just stayed on like yours. I'm guessing O2 sensors as well.

I gotta fix my brakes first though.

Probably O2 sensors, had the same thing. Noticed reduced power/mileage?
Not really. As soon as I noticed it wasnt going away. I babied it at 40- 45 mph back to my house! I didn't really drive it like I was late for work or something. Lol.
My buddies 01v8
His cel stays on. He just looks over it
Cause he's had to replace just about everything
On the motor.
He just rolled over 100,000 miles on his
And it sounds like either his main bearings or
The rod bearings are knocking... It's sad.
Well I bought an 06 to stay out of the constant repairs! Only have 75 K. Miles on it. But it's probably an O2 sensor. It's obviously not anything that's going to explode soon
Go to Autozone, Advance etc. and have them read your codes. The stores in my area will not reset it though. I have my own reader now.
Yeah I just take my car to the retired wise man. He'll hook up to it and tell me what's going on.

I personally think investing in a code reader is a great idea. Especially for times like this. Mine was just fixed, but my o2 sensors were setting it off...
Hun, If I had a nickel for every item on my list of stuff I want for my LS . I would have enough money to clear that list ! :D

Mine stayed on for a while and went away cane back and went away. Not flashing just stayed on like yours. I'm guessing O2 sensors as well.

I gotta fix my brakes first though.

yeah, brakes are a necessity. I'd probably do the same. :eek:

Well I bought an 06 to stay out of the constant repairs! Only have 75 K. Miles on it. But it's probably an O2 sensor. It's obviously not anything that's going to explode soon

Yeah short-circuit I was just making convo..
Just ranting and ravin I guess.. Lol sorry

Just ranting and ravin I guess.. Lol sorry[/QUOTE]

sorry. I think that came out a little sarcastic! Or possibly rude . My experience with first Gen LS wasn't a good one. It was that love hate relationship! Lol.

My CEL comes on for about 2 or 3 start cycles about once a month. The only codes that my mechanic gets is the second drivers side O2 sensor is slow to respond.

My CEL comes on for about 2 or 3 start cycles about once a month. The only codes that my mechanic gets is the second drivers side O2 sensor is slow to respond.
That kind of stuff drives me crazy! I deal with this throughout the day and it irritates me when I gotta argue with my car too !;)
you do know you can check codes without a scanner. right?
Sure did not. Can you explain a little on that for me? Thanks!

Just ranting and ravin I guess.. Lol sorry

sorry. I think that came out a little sarcastic! Or possibly rude . My experience with first Gen LS wasn't a good one. It was that love hate relationship! Lol.[/QUOTE]

Nah, you didn't come off that way... It's all good. :)
But nonetheless, my name is beau. Haven't met or talked to you
Yet. Lol
I seen that you had a gen1 before and you put it up for sale.
Did you ever get rid of that thing or do you still have it?

FINALLY!! About three months ago. LQK picked what was left of it up. It was in my parents drive way, their HOI threatened to cancel the policy due to that car and my mom's 84 Z -24 IRoc. So it was gone later that week. They paid me what I was asking the day before they towed it away too!

That kind of stuff drives me crazy! I deal with this throughout the day and it irritates me when I gotta argue with my car too !;)

Sure did not. Can you explain a little on that for me? Thanks!

turn on the key, press and hold the A/B knob until the word test appears where the odometer would be. then press the A/B knob to go through the functions, there will be dtcs (codes) a digital tachometer, voltage and some other fun stuff i have yet to understand. if you do it right it should show you the codes. works on my ls, and my focus

FINALLY!! About three months ago. LQK picked what was left of it up. It was in my parents drive way, their HOI threatened to cancel the policy due to that car and my mom's 84 Z -24 IRoc. So it was gone later that week. They paid me what I was asking the day before they towed it away too!

Damn that sucks!, I've been lookin all over the place for a "fixer upper"
Something I can sink a bunch of money in the motor.
But that's good that you got what you wanted outta it
And it's gone from your moms.
But if you come across one with issues other than wiring issues
I'd be grateful if you let me know. I've been searching here in town.
Found a 01v8 looked ugly as poop and dude wanted 6k for it
Not running and the paint was faded and cracked up.
What a loser...

turn on the key, press and hold the A/B knob until the word test appears where the odometer would be. then press the A/B knob to go through the functions, there will be dtcs (codes) a digital tachometer, voltage and some other fun stuff i have yet to understand. if you do it right it should show you the codes. works on my ls, and my focus
Thanks a million! As soon as Family Guy is over I'll go out there and try!
Might I add.. tonight's episode is the funniest one by far. Ever !
Damn that sucks!, I've been lookin all over the place for a "fixer upper"
Something I can sink a bunch of money in the motor.
But that's good that you got what you wanted outta it
And it's gone from your moms.
But if you come across one with issues other than wiring issues
I'd be grateful if you let me know. I've been searching here in town.
Found a 01v8 looked ugly as poop and dude wanted 6k for it
Not running and the paint was faded and cracked up.
What a loser...
From Panama city Fla.? That would have been a long haul. And the motor was shot. Timing chain.

Thanks a million! As soon as Family Guy is over I'll go out there and try!
Might I add.. tonight's episode is the funniest one by far. Ever !

From Panama city Fla.? That would have been a long haul. And the motor was shot. Timing chain.

Lol yeah it wouldn't be that long of a haul.
I stayed in Toledo,OH for about a month before
I moved back down here. Lol Ohio ppl didn't like me at all.
I've had a couple ppl there telling me "I needed to take my redneck ass back down south" true story. :)
So I'd drive 16 hours to haul a car back.
Don't matter if it had a motor or not. I have one to
Put in it.

Thanks for this, excited to give 'er a whirl tomorrow.

@shortcircuitls

Very trippy too I must add. Don't understand why Cleveland Show, FG, and American Dad were all in a hurricane though.

I got nothing. Bummer. I held the a/b trip button for 30 seconds on all three. Run, on, and key. I have tried the Auto and fan button trick others were able to access. Not me?!

Members online

No members online now.
Back