Super Coupe Rear-end!!! What came in the '97LSC???

97SilverLSCcobra

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The guy I bought this car from gave me a whole rear-end chunk out of a Super Coupe Thunderbird. He said it was a positive traction and 3.27 gears! would it be worth changing out with my stock rear-end and Can I just change the whole chunk? They look pretty much the same!!! Does anyone know what came stock in the '97 LSC and What came in the Super Coupes?

no, same thing. base mark 8's come with a 3.07 and the lsc's come with a 3.27 from the factory.

The guy I bought this car from gave me a whole rear-end chunk out of a Super Coupe Thunderbird. He said it was a positive traction and 3.27 gears! would it be worth changing out with my stock rear-end and Can I just change the whole chunk? They look pretty much the same!!! Does anyone know what came stock in the '97 LSC and What came in the Super Coupes?

no, same thing. base mark 8's come with a 3.07 and the lsc's come with a 3.27 from the factory.

Not the same thing.

All Mark VIII's had open differentials stock.

SC's all had trac-locs. Autos had 3.27's. Manual cars had 2.73's

Unfortunately, the SC also used a heavier cast iron housing instead of the aluminum housing used on the Mark VIII's and Cobras.

So, yes, you can swap in the entire diff, but you be better off swapping the internals from the SC diff into the Mark VIII aluminum housing. That will require someone who knows how to do it, though.

Well I might have the right person for the job!!! So this has the same thing as what people are calling a trac-loc? I wonder how to tell if it is the 3.27 gears from the auto or the 2.73s from a manual car?

Well I might have the right person for the job!!! So this has the same thing as what people are calling a trac-loc? I wonder how to tell if it is the 3.27 gears from the auto or the 2.73s from a manual car?

Maybe, if it really came from an SC. Look for a metal tag on one of the cover bolts. If it has 3 L 2 7 on it, then it's a trac-loc with 3.27's

If that's not there, just open it up and start counting.

Alrighty, I appreciate it!!! I am pretty sure it came from a Super Coupe!!! He gave me a thicker sway bar and two super chargers from a super coupe also!!! Plus a set of Super Coupe Wheels which I ruined one of. But still have three and the superchargers if anyone is interested!!!

oops i guess you learn somthing every day i did not know they came with a track lok anyways thanks for the correction dlf.

Alrighty, I appreciate it!!! I am pretty sure it came from a Super Coupe!!! He gave me a thicker sway bar and two super chargers from a super coupe also!!! Plus a set of Super Coupe Wheels which I ruined one of. But still have three and the superchargers if anyone is interested!!!

how much for the super chargers?

Members online

No members online now.
Back