Sun Shield for the LS

Shredicus

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So summer is right around the corner and I live in an ungodly hot area. I also had the sense to buy a black car with a black interior, so basically I need some sun visor recommendations. I've tried a few and none of them seem to fit the windshield correctly. I dont really like the accordion style ones that fold up into a rectangular shape. So what sun shields do you guys use for your LSes?

Tinted windshield....

I also have a fold up generic one, but that was before i had dark windows

That sucks. The md county cops have nothing better to do than pull over people with tinted windows. City cops rarely do, they worry about more important things lol

Man Shredicus I was going to post this same topic last night and forgot. I'm in Cali too and I have the same problem as you. I've tried 3 different sun shields and non of them fit right. Last summer I pretty much kept my car under a cover and by the end of the summer it was so brittle from sun damage that it ripped to pieces. I bought a more expensive car cover meant for the sun/high temperature, but car covers are only practical if you know you're not going to be driving for a while.

Anyway I'm on the market for a sun shield too.

Btw Shredicus I'd get your windows tinted before summer if you haven't. Idk how hot it gets in Palm Springs but in Fresno it's over 100 half the summer. Your leather seats (as well as your ass) will thank you.

I have a generic large accordion one from Pep Boys and it really helps.

maybe,,,,,,

umbrella_over_car-vi.jpg

lol

i aquired a sun shield from a bar one night as it was closing...as to why the sunshield wasnt in a car i have no idea. but either way i thought instead of it gettin thrown away i would make use of it. or try to. It didnt fit....so what i did was force a few folds into the shield...and use some ducttape to hold em down so it fit snugly in my window. suppose you could cut it but it may fray and start to look kinda ugly. Not that they are not ugly in the first place though right?!
works decent on them bright days when i cant park inside to say the least

The LS WindShield is rather large. A regular car one won't work it needs to be a large/truck one. They have custom fit ones on eBay but I bought a $15 one from walmart that wirks rather well.

Also I found that putting a towel over the steering wheels keeps it from burning your hands in the heat of a parked vehicle.

Fortunately for me I work at the airport and am able to park inside a parking garage and have a covered parking area at my apt.

Window and Sunroof tint works the best.

So summer is right around the corner and I live in an ungodly hot area. I also had the sense to buy a black car with a black interior, so basically I need some sun visor recommendations. I've tried a few and none of them seem to fit the windshield correctly. I dont really like the accordion style ones that fold up into a rectangular shape. So what sun shields do you guys use for your LSes?

Tinting the windows works the best, if they won't let you tint the front side windows just do the back window and the rear side windows. Don't forget to do the sunroof. All tinting has UV filtering that's what makes it reduce interior temps. I have a dark green lincoln ls w/charcoal black interior and a silver lincoln ls with light grey interior. Had to tint both cars, legal tinting on side windows, darker on rear window. Much cooler in summer, although silver car is a few degrees cooler. Don't tint the front window, too much interior reflections. Even with the sunshade shut the sunroof will heat up the car, limo tint the sunroof window.

Folding Reflectors will ruin the plastic safety sheet inside the front window, causing fogging. Use the all windows down feature by holding the unlock down for a few seconds to help get the hot air out.

Mr. H

How much are you looking to spend? I came up with an idea for one before I had my windshield tinted.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I do need to get tint done before summer... 100-115 pretty much from June through September... there's a reason they keep building solar plants out here

I'm on a pretty tight budget right now HighRule as I'm going to have to replace my rotors very soon, so I really wasnt looking for anything too elaborate at present.

Make a deal with you. I'll do what I planed on doing with my LS and I'll send it to you. If you like it, you reimburse me what I paid for materials and shipping.

If that sounds good. I'll start on it tomorrow and have it to you by next weekend. It shouldn't be any more than $30 shipped.

I'll say this all tints are not created equal. The darker it is does not mean it reduces more heat just makes the inside darker. The tint I have is only in the 20's but with 50% heat reduction.

Wincos tint is even better and blocks out tons of heat but it can run a good $400 to do all four and the rear with front strip. We saw those same temps here in north texas last year and I noticed a difference with the tint versus factory windows.

Make a deal with you. I'll do what I planed on doing with my LS and I'll send it to you. If you like it, you reimburse me what I paid for materials and shipping.

If that sounds good. I'll start on it tomorrow and have it to you by next weekend. It shouldn't be any more than $30 shipped.

Sounds intriguing... I could commit to $30. PM me the details

Why not get a remote start and leave the ac on before you shut the car off, so when you start the car you have ac blastin before you get in,plus tint.

I dont know what sort of wizardry he's up to, but the price is right and it sounds promising :shifty:

care to share? i might be interested. i planned on purchasing a folding reflector, until howie just said it will ruin some plastic in windshield.

How would it ruin some plastic in the windshield?

I have about 10 mini projects brewing in my head that I want to do and a custom sunshield was one of them before I had my windshield tinted.

It's going to be a custom fit shield with color accents (trim and backing).

I have the template complete and it looks good if I say so myself. Hopefully at least 2 more people would want one so I can break even lol. I'm not making these to make a profit, I'm making them to help those that want sunshields that actually fit the LS.

The materials cost $65 total. With that I'm able to make 3 sunshields. Which comes out to make each one $22 plus about $5 - $6 for shipping. Making them $27 - $30 each. If it does turn out to cost more for shipping I'll eat that so it won't cost over $30 per person.

Once I can find my camera I'll post pictures of it.

I have the template complete and it looks good if I say so myself. Hopefully at least 2 more people would want one so I can break even lol. I'm not making these to make a profit, I'm making them to help those that want sunshields that actually fit the LS.

The materials cost $65 total. With that I'm able to make 3 sunshields. Which comes out to make each one $22 plus about $5 - $6 for shipping. Making them $27 - $30 each. If it does turn out to cost more for shipping I'll eat that so it won't cost over $30 per person.

Once I can find my camera I'll post pictures of it.

Im intrested in this is well as i live in FL the humidity alone is killer:mad:

Members online

No members online now.
Back