Sulfur in Gas..?

KC_Valentine

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been having major issues with my "Miles til empty" gauge lately, variance of 40+ or 40- miles within driving only 5 miles.. I took it into the dealer for oil change/rotate/etc... and had them check it out at the time too.. The Ford note sent back from the PCM check states one of two things.. And I quote..

16327 2000-2002 Lincoln LS and 2002 thunderbird - inaccurate fuel level reading. Some 2000-2002 Lincoln LS and 2002 Thunderbird vehicles built before 10/25/02 may exhibit an inaccurate fuel level condition with approximately 1/4 reading on the fuel gauge. This may be due to contamination in the jet pump module(jpm). During the condition the fuel delivery module (FDM) side of the tank (right) will be empty, and the tank JPM side of the tank (left) will still have a substantial amount of fuel. To service, replace the JPM part number yw4z-9275-bc, and the FDM part number yw4z-9h307-ba. Refer to workshop manual section 310-01 for information on removal and installation of the JPM and FDM. Eff. Date: 10/18/2002

The second note...

17930 1995-2005 multiple vehicles - erratic fuel gauge any vehicle with a gasoline engine may exhibit erratic fuel gauge readings and the mil may come on. DTC Po460, p0462, p0463, p2065, p2067, and/or p2068 may be present. A recently reported issue with sulfur contamination found in some local fuels may cause temporary contamination of the fuel sender card. before replacing any component, clear dtc's, drain fuel tank (if facilities permit), and advise customer to use an alternate brand of fuel. The condition should correct itself after 2-3 tanks of uncontaminated fuel. Advise customers to reset their trip odometer when they fill their tank and monitor mileage, replacement of components including fuel gauge sender, fuel pump, ip cluster, or pcm reprogramming/replacement may not fix the concern when caused by contaminated fuel. If concern persists perform normal diagnosis and repair. Eff date: 7/22/2004

After reading these, I had the fuel filter replaced *at 49950 miles now and it has never been replaced* to see if it would help with the sulfur content... I have ONLY used 91+ octane gas froM QuikTrip *garuntees their gas* since the day I bought my car and NEVER had a problem.. I did the same for the 2 years I had my '99 mustang and never had a problem..

Does anyone know of any other issues/problem that could cause this? The dealer mechanic talked about something with removin the fuel pan/draining it and checking a whole bunch of other stuff but I don't want to pay for it yet if it was just a :q:q:q:qty fuel filter..

:feedback

Side Note: Would the V8 Emblem (http://www.lskoncepts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=V8EMBLEM) Fit on the tail light next to the "LS" chrome letters?

The first thing I'd do is try a different brand of gas. I've had really good results with Conoco, and they show several stations in the Kansas City area (see http://p66conoco76.conocophillips.com/Store+Locator/index.htm ). I've also heard very good things about Amoco gas, but we don't have any local Amoco stations (which is odd, since they have a major facility in Tulsa, about 100 miles from here).

The filter probably won't have much, if any, effect on the sulfur content, if that is the problem. Not knowing what sorts of sulfur compounds are in the gas, I can't say for sure, but they're probably smaller than the gasoline molecules, so any filter that would stop them wouldn't allow the gas to flow...

both of these statements are true i deal with them all the time.. the first one will not affect your miles till empty guage for the simple fact the your fuel lever sender is on the jet pump side. which would retain more full in that certain situation.

the second one.. WILL throw a code for sulfur content.. usually a p0460.. it makes a bad connection on the sender between the slide and ohm plate. if your not seeing any codes. i would just say let it ride for a bit. see what happens. more then likely it will need a sender.. but there is always that slight chance u got bad gas. highly unlikely.

o.. and changing the ffuel filter wouldnt have a reflection on the gauge either. for the fact that the guage is gettin its reading from in the tank.. why the FF is after the tank.. but it was a good idea to change it considering u havent in 50000 miles..

So do you guys just recommend I run a few tanks of alternate gas *such as conoco* and see how it goes? What sucks is in 2 tanks I will be past the 50k Ford Factory warranty and on my extended warranty heh, wish this would of happend sooner.

In the event changing gas doesn't correct it, what will I need to do?

as long as u went into dealer b4 ur warranty was up.. for your problem, they should fix it under warranty.. or help u

Members online

Back