Suddenly stiff steering

theophile

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
2002 V8 Sport. Over the last month or so as the weather has gotten colder, I've been noticing a slightly louder power-steering-pump whine in the mornings when the car is cold. The other day as I was maneuvering out of my garage, the steering suddenly got stiffer and has been that way ever since. There wasn't a "bang" or any sort of sound or other feeling that accompanied the change, just a suddenly stiffer steering experience. It remains stiff even at road speeds. It is a consistent stiffness, not a "catch" at a certain point or points in the rotation as I have read can be the case when the U-joint is loose. It feels like a (partial?) loss of power steering.

There do not appear to be any fluid leaks. The power steering reservoir is full.

My instinct was to replace the P/S pump, but then I found out what that entails and decided I had better make sure that the pump is really the problem. Does this sound consistent with a pump issue? Is there a way to verify before removing things? On my previous car, when the P/S pump went, it was very hard to turn the pulley by hand. How much resistance should I feel when trying to turn the pulley by hand with the belt removed? Other things I can try?

Thanks!

I take it that you haven't lost all boost? (Steering is still turnable with the engine running, but much more difficult with the engine off.)
What does the fluid in the reservoir look like?

I do not think I've lost the boost entirely. I haven't tried steering the car while rolling with the engine off, but when I lost p/s on my previous car, it almost required two hands just to turn the wheel. It's not nearly that bad in this case.

The fluid looks like this:
IMG_20141213_094654.jpg

IMG_20141213_094654.jpg

Well, I think that it could be the pump, boost solenoid actuator, or the rack. Since the pump is making noise, it does point to the pump.*

*: I do not stand behind this remote diagnosis.

I've had a similar problem with the power steering actuator connector - either on the rack or on the high pressure line - becomes disconnected. It's boosted, but very weak.

I've had a similar problem with the power steering actuator connector - either on the rack or on the high pressure line - becomes disconnected. It's boosted, but very weak.

This is a good possibility. I just replaced VCGs, coils, plugs, etc., and had several problems with broken connectors. I will check this out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back