Sudden overheaing problem with 2003 Lincoln Ls

Ender570

LVC Member
Reaction score
the other day, my car randomly started to give me the "check engine tempertature" warning after driving for about 5-10 minutes. The fluids levels all seem fine. What are some ways for me to diagnose what could be the cause of this? I'm very new to the world of auto mechanics, so try to keep your description as basic as possible :p

Also, my heat has seemed to stop working ever since this issue arose. Even though the temperature warning is going off, the air coming out of the vents will still be cool (ice cold, actually, since this happened when it was only 10 degrees outside)

Again, any tips on where to start would be greatly appreciated

Ender570....are you saying you have the correct level of fluid in your coolant reservoir? Are you sure?
don-ohio

There are definitely the right amount of fluids in the car. The biggest mystery to me is why my heat would stop working when my car is telling me it's overheating... I let the car idle for about 20 minutes and the gauge never went past the half way point. I put it in drive, drove around the block, and the gauge started to rise almost immediately.

Also, I've noticed it makes a strange sound when I turn it off... my description is probably going to make few of you laugh, but the only way I can describe it is to say it sounds like a spaceship powering down.

There are definitely the right amount of fluids in the car. The biggest mystery to me is why my heat would stop working when my car is telling me it's overheating... I let the car idle for about 20 minutes and the gauge never went past the half way point. I put it in drive, drove around the block, and the gauge started to rise almost immediately.

Also, I've noticed it makes a strange sound when I turn it off... my description is probably going to make few of you laugh, but the only way I can describe it is to say it sounds like a spaceship powering down.

Search and read the posts on here. You don't believe me, but I gave you the answer with the link above. Your heat has stopped and your engine is overheating because the coolant has stopped circulating. It has stopped because it is airlocked. It is airlocked because tiny micro cracks in the plastic cooling system parts have allowed air to be sucked in. We almost all have been through it. When one of the plastic parts starts doing this, they all follow very soon, so replace them all. Heat and exposure to coolant "rots" the plastic from the inside out. The part the holds your thermostat together may have broken off too. That spaceship shutting down sound is the fan going from maximum cooling to off.

Okay,Joe,so you're saying that the coolant won't pull back out of the Expansion tank when the engine cools because it has air in the system,right? That would explain his Expansion tank still being the correct level,fooling him that it's full of coolant. Is that right?don-ohio :)^)

it very well could be not leaking fluid (at least in noticeable amounts) and therefore still at the correct amount. the problem is when these cracks start to form, the thicker liquid wont fit out (after a point, it can escape as steam) but as its cooling down it can/will suck the much thinner air into the system.

So ,Loud,you are saying the water pump has lost its prime? Just whirling air and foam around? don-ohio :)^)

^ this guy! Next your going to suggest he just ditch the seal in the degas bottle cap or better yet, just loosen it a few turns and run around with a non-pressurized cooling system!

Why is it 90% of the LS owners do not read the advise clearly presented to them. The system is allowing air in and thus the overheating troubles begin. Note the part about "Heat and exposure to coolant "rots" the plastic from the inside out." You'd think this would be the first time this has been spelled out here. It's an 03 and it's time to R&R the entire plastic cooling system. Yours is next Don! Just a matter of time after the 10yr+ mark. Take it or leave it, it's just the way it is.

Boy,BigRig! You are certainly paranoid. LOL!
No......I was NOT gonna suggest anything of the sort. If he has leaking parts,he MUST replace them. If he had brought it to me,I would replace the bad parts and THEN ASK if he would keep the antifreeze at a 60 antifreeze to 40 water ratio and IF he said yes,I would loosen his Expansion tank cap or just remove the gasket from the cap.

This is JUST like my brother did his wife's Taurus,which,BTW has over 200K on it now with the last 100K of that being depressurized.No more problems. don-ohio :)^)

@Ender570

**SOME GOOD ADVICE FROM AN EXPERIENCED MEMBER**

My 05 LSV8 did the same thing. After spending $850 (CAD) in Motocraft parts and FAMILY mechanic discount, my problem never went away. Coolant was checked, no bubbles in the lines, flowing correctly, pressure cap checked out, the works. Mechanic's all said the same thing, good chance the block warped.
Aluminum Blocks are indeed known for warping when overheated.
If you have already gone past the 'half way' mark several times, ... chuck that piece of **** on CraigsList and move on. You (likely) cooked it.

If you decide to try and keep it and fix it, be warned:
The Gentlemen on here who say the "LS is reliable" tend to be the same gentlemen who replace parts before they fail. They are very mechanically inclined, have many tools in their garage, and are very aware of foreseeable problems in their vehicles, and fix them before those problems can develop and then create MORE problems.
However..
For guys like us, who bought these vehicles and drove them till a problem arises, chances are we already fu*ked up, and now have potential lemons.

The Lincoln LS scores HORRIBLE ratings in Consumer Reports, who although can be Driver Bias, is not Blogger Bias. Consumer Reports is well trusted because it's the experience of other owners. And the LS is one of the most UNRELIABLE LINCOLNS ever made.

In short, OP, you own a very bad car. And you just developed a VERY bad problem with it. Don't be hard on yourself, it's not your fault. It's Fords. Your coolant problem was inevitable, as will will be your REPEATED ignition coil, potential transmission, body hardware, and many others. This car is discontinued for more reasons than bad marketing.
There's a reason I listed mine after an overheat issue. Walking from the LS after 120k miles is the smartest decision guys like you and I can ever make.

My post in no way was to insult anyone here. Older members here have the greatest knowledge on the LS, and are more than delightful and helpful.
They are also biased; they love the LS and that's why they are still here. So trust their knowledge, but take their opinions on the car with a lot of salt.
Just know, I have seen many come with smiles, and leave with hot heads selling their LS's with frustration. Its unreliable. It's going to break down again.. and again.. and again.

OP, the Lincoln MKZ from 2008+ is a far better vehicle than the LS. 2013 models can come equipped with 3.7L, AWD. Far better fuel efficiency, traction, and performance than the LS.

Cheers LVC.

Every car takes a certain amount of TLC to keep it tip-top. Yeah,the LS have tranny issues sometimes, but they can be fixed or sometimes prevented.I like the LS and have driven our first one nearly 70K with only the trans problem. These cars are now 10-16 years old. They are high powered and touchy sometimes. So are other high powered cars. I'll take a rear wheel drive over any front wheel drive out there. That's just me. don-ohio :)^)

You buy ANY 10-16 yr.old exotic car and you'll run into the same thing,Zero. don-ohio :)^)

my 03 LS has definitely been the most reliable car that I have ever owned... over the last 100k miles Ive put on it, it has only left me stranded twice before...

the first time was my fault... at about 75k(actual miles) miles I knew I had coils failing but it still drive fine, so like a moron I kept driving it, until one or more coils got extremely bad while driving to work, it kept kicking into ETC failsafe mode and I would just restart it and keep driving with a flashing CEL since I was only a few miles from my shop. well this caused the cats to melt up solid and wouldn't allow the engine to run any more until they were removed.

the second time was around 130k when the coolant outlet pipe blew apart. but that was a simple fix of ordering a few hundred bucks in parts and throwing them on.

of course as the car now sits with close to 160k on it, there has been a lot of maintenance done (most of the suspension replaced over the years) but that is typical with any car out there.

also for what its worth, most of the older members who say that their cars are extremely reliable and in the demographic that could afford to go out an buy their $40k+ car brand new, so they know exactly how well it has been treated its whole life and cared for properly from day one. and most of the people on here that say that their LS hasnt been very reliable at all have bought their $40k+ cars extremely used for a small fraction of that it cost originally and have been through sometimes many owners some of which clearly didn't give a sh!t to take care of it nor properly maintain it.

also for whats its worth, the MazdaZ... I'm sorry, the MKZ is not a better car than the LS... (my family has now owned one of every version) the only thing a Z does better than a LS is that your are right the AWD version does get better traction.

however it does not get any better millage, the 09 MKZ AWD is rated 17/24 vs the LS (V8) is rated at 18/25 and the V6 is rated 20/26 while the new Z with the 3.5 gets 18/26. not to mention its terrible handling due to its terrible balance...

Isn't the MKZ,besides being newer,a little smaller than the LS and probably lighter?
It definitely looks smaller,maybe narrower to me. don-ohio :)^)

That's what I thought,LS4me.....a little smaller,which I don't need. I actually wanted to get her another Mercury Grand Marquis,but she says it's too big for her now to park. don-ohio :)^)

Don-Ohio seriously, don't ever refer to the LS as exotic again.
It's an ENTRY level sport luxury vehicle.
I've always loved the LS for the fact that you get quite a few bells and whistles for such a depreciated vehicle.

@LS4me
I totally get what you mean. But I have actually owned 3 LS's, (00/02/05).
The 02 I got at 71k miles off a lease, and has had all its maintenance recorded. It's the one in my Sig. And it had a SH!T ton of stupid fu*king problems. No major problems, just STUPID fu*king problems. Problems that make me think I bought a pinto. Thats right, a WELL maintained LS and it gave me grief.

My 05 was a curb sider, had 83kmiles when I bought it, AC didn't work. Altho Carproof was clean, I found out after purchase that it had been in some accidents. Carproof is a joke.
So I can't really blame it for sucking the big one, although the overheat IS FORDS fu*k up.

The 00 is the most interesting story. My uncle bought it only 1 year used. Sold it to my aunt who drove it and maintained it. It just LITERALLY fell apart. Piece of sh!t rusted through the frames crumple zones @11 years into its life. Couldn't safety it anymore when I acquired it, so I used it as trade in bait. THIS LS DIED AT 44,000 MILES. RUST RUST RUST EVERYWHERE! BRAVO FORD!!!! Best part? IT HAD BEEN RUST PROOFED SEVERAL TIMES.
This LS, was THE WORST. The cabin heat failed 3 FU*KING TIMES during its 3 year manu warranty; module replaced each time.

After it Failed A FOURTH TIME it got parked for a year, and died.
Piece of sh!!t car that 2000 Lincoln LS is.
Who the hell thought of those stupid cup holders that flip out? What a dumb engineer, should be fired and never allowed to work in automotive again.

So yeah, maybe Canadian LS's are crap OR LS's can't hold up to our winters. =)

It's exotic to this Hillbilly,Zero.LOL! Sounds like you need to find a good used YUGO to complain about. don-ohio :)^)

It's exotic to this Hillbilly,Zero.LOL! Sounds like you need to find a good used YUGO to complain about. don-ohio :)^)

LOL I suppose the LS is 'Exotic' when compared to a YUGO XD. You make a fair point there Don Ohio.

2017 Lincoln Yugo. Great for Canadian winters!
yugo front.jpgyugo back.jpg

yugo front.jpg

yugo back.jpg

Don-Ohio seriously, don't ever refer to the LS as exotic again.

ex·ot·ic
iɡˈzädik/
adjective

1.originating in or characteristic of a distant foreign country.
"exotic birds"
synonyms: foreign, nonnative

England is not that far away for you?

Members online

No members online now.
Back