Subwoofer Advice

LunaEros

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I got the Android head unit to power the subwoofer and center image amps and once I figured out some of the DSP settings in the unit it sounded damn good. Until the subwoofers let go. I guess being 18 years old the foam surrounds on them called it quits. So I got new surrounds to put on them. One came out perfect but with the other one I must've misaligned the surround by just a bit and it rattles (for lack of a better word). Apparently the voice coil isn't perfectly centered in it's travel from the surround being misaligned.
Looking for advice. I intend on to keep using the stock amp for a while. Do my fellow LSers here think I should just get a new pair of 6x9 subs or look for another stock 6x9 sub to replace the one I messed up.
I see there's some nice pairs of 6x9 CDT subwoofers with a large magnets and they're 2 ohm like the stock ones on eBay and Amazon.

I was unable to find decent 6x9 subs online. But the pick a part had a nice selection. I have some out of an 2012 fusion in there now. But have yet to test them out. Where did u don't the ones u quotes...link?

Yes those are nice ....but damn I can't justify that $ on 6x9 subs. I got a pair of 8" subs I was gonna fit to the parcel shelf. It am now going to use the factory tiny amp (from the 02 V6 I found) and the fusion subs, 4ch 1000w for the front + rear doors + 4" JL in the center channel with a 1000w monoblock powering the 8's in a fender mount style box. Should give plenty I think when done...but am giving up on the android head unit settings. And just using the 7 band EQ I got to split up the shitty single output that thing has.

I think the reason they're as much as they are is because they're purpose built. There are very few 6x9 subs around and the others there are usually coaxial or triaxial which isn't a sub. They're just normal 6x9s that are being pushed as subs. I think Rockford Fosgate has a couple like that for way cheaper as well as Kicker I think.
I usually love extra components but in these cars with so little room... I think I've got their eq/dsp in these things somewhat figured out.
Though there are lots of other settings in this thing I haven't figured out yet and the damn manual that comes with them doesn't explain everything. These damn Chinese manufacturers need to start hiring bilingual Americans who can speak fluent Chinese to help write these manuals. Plus we'd also point out that everything isn't in the manual and it all needs to be put in.

I have a couple kickers in the factory holes.... my factory radios were getting burnt out like one side played and the other burned out turned out the door seals let water down to rest on the connectors shorting the wires I gooped up the connectors with a glue gun and replaced the radio with a pioneer but you have to have a special metra harness to incorporate the amp you lose the steering wheel features sounds good though

you lose the steering wheel features

Depends on the radio you get. A lot of them you can still hook up the steering wheel controls if they support external controls and you get an adapter but with the Android based head units from China like me and Duke got they accept the steering wheel controls straight from the harness without an adapter. Though I think I'll get an adapter down the road for the long press option they have to double the amount of controls I can use.

Depends on the radio you get. A lot of them you can still hook up the steering wheel controls if they support external controls and you get an adapter but with the Android based head units from China like me and Duke got they accept the steering wheel controls straight from the harness without an adapter. Though I think I'll get an adapter down the road for the long press option they have to double the amount of controls I can use.
What he said. So I finally got the girl back! So a few paint things to fix and what not but now...finally I am going to finish the audio build!

Hey Luna, you are unisng one of those joying units yes? So you figured out the eq/DSP? I still can't on mine. How many RCA outputs does that unit have and you got a link to where u purchased it? I'm about to open mine up and see if I can upgrade the measly 1g of ram and see if there are blanks to put more RCA outputs (mine only has one wtf) but failing that I got this 7band EQ that I'm putting in the glove box

Yes. I've got the 8.8" widescreen. Except for the ram and storage and screen size it's basically the same as yours. Yours is the 10.25" widescreen with the new UI, right?
It has a single line level sub out, an SPDIF digital RCA out and front right/left and rear right/left RCAs out. I've got it somewhat figured out. What are you trying to figure out on it?

Yeah. I did but I didn't use a kit like that. One of my subs came out perfect but the other one I apparently misaligned the surround to the cone and it got a very minor kink in the surround. It's barely noticeable but it's enough to make the sub rattle from the voice coil hitting the core during it's range of travel. I didn't remove the voice coil cover and shim the coil because there's camps on both sides of the speaker rebuilding community on whether you need to shim the coil or not. One of mine came out perfect and the other one didn't. Now that I know how I misaligned it I could probably do it again without problem but for someone doing it the first time they shouldn't probably shim the coil.

Hey Luna...so finally getting to re do the stereo...my swc hookup from the unit has 2 wires...key 1 and key 2...what did yours have?

Hey Luna...so finally getting to re do the stereo...my swc hookup from the unit has 2 wires...key 1 and key 2...what did yours have?

Same. I only had to hook up one to the single wire going to the controls. I used Key 1

No prob.
I'm having issues with mine now though. I was finally able to root it but apparently in doing so it appears to have broken the voice directions for Google Maps and Waze as well as screwing up Play Store since it won't download anything now and stays on "Pending" when I try to update.
I'm so pissed. Trying to get help over on xda-developers but sometimes they take quite a while to reply back so I'm sitting here brooding.

No prob.
I'm having issues with mine now though. I was finally able to root it but apparently in doing so it appears to have broken the voice directions for Google Maps and Waze as well as screwing up Play Store since it won't download anything now and stays on "Pending" when I try to update.
I'm so pissed. Trying to get help over on xda-developers but sometimes they take quite a while to reply back so I'm sitting here brooding.
Awe shit..yeah kinda where I'm at with mine too...didn't try programing the swc yet but will shortly...I resesed mine in to the dash flush...and am gonna butcher my control center...but it'll work out mint..pics to come.

Oh also. Now running 2 10's off a 1000w 2ch
The 6x9 subs off another 1000w 2 ch
And the doors with a 400w 4 ch, and hooked up the console speakers, and will be replacing them with some. Ice JL 4" I got

I'm guessing those 6x9s aren't stock.
Luckily I don't need anywhere near that kind of power. As long as it's loud enough for my mood with the windows up, I'm happy.

Actually...there stockers from a 2010 fusion with the Sony system...and they are holding up really well...and I may be going a bit crazy..but it's cuz this is the first vehicle I ha e been able to put a system in...in YEARS.. lol

Actually...there stockers from a 2010 fusion with the Sony system...and they are holding up really well...and I may be going a bit crazy..but it's cuz this is the first vehicle I ha e been able to put a system in...in YEARS.. lol

Wow. And they're handling 500w each? Pretty good.

Oh hey forgot to mention. You don't really need the play store, you can just downloaded the APK files to a usb and side load them...I have had to do this with rooted phones in the past

Members online

Back