Sub Question

HARDDRlVER

New LVC Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on these 12" subs? Anyone using these in their setup? http://www.splusa.net/splw.html. My next question concerns the building of a box, or not. Like a lot of you guys, I would like to keep my trunk space. I'm thinking of mounting them on a shelf on the underside of the deck made out of some 3/4" or 1" MDF. and using the trunk as the box.
I have about 350 sq. ft. of Dynamat (apx 150 lbs.) I can use to tighten up the trunk with. What do you think of this idea or should I just go with a box and kill the trunk space?

Whichever you decide to do, the important thing is to make sure that the enclosure for the sub is sized to the specifications of the subwoofer.

That is what makes or breaks the sound quality of a sub setup.

My sub requires an enclosure of 1.25 cubic feet if the enclosure is sealed, or 1.9 cubic feet if it's ported with the size of the port tuned to 32 hertz.

Having a sub box built to your subwoofer's specifications would be easier.

HARDDRlVER said:
What are your thoughts on these 12" subs? Anyone using these in their setup? http://www.splusa.net/splw.html.
I've never heard of them. But I'm no pro. I just read a lot of message boards.

If you're curious about good well known brands, look into Adire, Resonant Engineering, JL, and Ascendant Audio.

Digital Designs is based here in Oklahoma City and fantastic subs, but not very musical.

as for the SPL brand, I have heard of people using them and liking them. I do not like using the trunk itself as the enclosure, I believe that those subs need their own box. Also I expect with the right amount of wattage even the 10" will sound amazing. So my recommendation would be go with what you like, build a box that fires through the rear package tray, and you will retain most of your truck space. That is how it is in my car. Look at my avatar, you will see how much trunk space is available.

YouthKwest said:
Digital Designs is based here in Oklahoma City and fantastic subs, but not very musical.

as for the SPL brand, I have heard of people using them and liking them. I do not like using the trunk itself as the enclosure, I believe that those subs need their own box. Also I expect with the right amount of wattage even the 10" will sound amazing. So my recommendation would be go with what you like, build a box that fires through the rear package tray, and you will retain most of your truck space. That is how it is in my car. Look at my avatar, you will see how much trunk space is available.

you need to tune the box right,just tune it a little low and they will come alive on music,how much experience have you had with them?oh,did you know they aren't spl subs,they are built for SQ

Members online

Back