Sub Positioning

cannons_custom

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Dumb question but I figured someone here could point me in the right direction. In my lincoln LS I have my subs facing the back seats. What way is going to sound better? Facing the backseat or facing into the trunk to the open air space?

I have mine facing the tail lights. Just because I've heard that it's supposed to sound better.

And every other picture I've seen of subs installed in the LS have been rear facing too.

facing the subs towards the back is usally the best. It has to do with the soundwaves produced by the sub.

facing the subs towards the back is usally the best. It has to do with the soundwaves produced by the sub.

+2 i found some diagram long ago that showed how the sound waves cancel each other out facing forward vs back, dunno if its real found it on the interweb but i believed it :D

When you amplify a signal it will become distorted. It may be a small amount but it will. With it facing rearward it has to bounce to reach you. That is the soundwave bouncing. When it bounces it loses volume in little increments and also the distortion. Try turning youre amp up until it distorts the sound, you know turn it up too high [and if you cant turn it up too high youre underpowering the subs imo] after turnin it up lay a blanket over the subs, notice how the distortion just went away. Same theory. :cool:

the gain control is not a voulme control it is there so u can match the signal coming into the amp ex if ur headunit has a 4volt output then u should in theory go to the amp and turn the gain up till its at the 4 volt mark but some amps do not have this in numbers on them.

Rear facing!

NewJLSubs003.jpg

I would usually say Rear facing but, if your sub box fills the whole opening under the rear deck it may sound better facing the back seat (kinda like a walled setup). I had 2 15" subs in a sealed box facing the seat that broke my sunroof and actually broke the bracket that holds the rearview mirror on the windshield. I have since switched to 2 12" subs in a Ported box which hit much harder and deeper than the 15s but sounds horrible facing the seat..... I say try it both ways and see which setup you like.

Members online

No members online now.
Back