Stuttering

adamLS

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving home from work last night and the engine stuttered twice just for a second. I was thinking it may be related to the fuel I put into it that day. Here in Florida we had somewhat of a gas shortage, there was only mid grade (89) at three of the stations I stopped at. I decided to put only $10 in and then fill with (93) that night, which I did. Does this sound like something that could cause this kind of stuttering? It was only a second and it happened twice miles apart. No problems at all today. By the way this was when I was cruising at about 75 or so. I ahve an LS V8 2k. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

If the car is stuttering send it to speech class.

Possibly

One time I was so tired I put regular gas in the car by mistake, bad mistake!!!
Second time I tried to save a buck and get the 89 octane, Whoa! Not good!
Ok, now its always 92 and up, nice and smooth.

Nice bump.

My LS has done this since I have owned it. On the freeway it stumbles ONCE and thats it. It does not even do it every time. It usually happens as I am slowly getting up to speed.

I have done the coils and plugs. I just chalk it up to an LS quirk that I can deal with.

I recently changed the throtle position sensor and it cured the slight hesitation issue I had between 40-50 mph. I am no mchanic by far, but I cured that problem in stead of the one I was actually trying to fix.

I know these LS's can be a pain from what I read. Thankfully I've had minimal problems with my '04 and it's just about to roll 67K. However, one thing I do notice is the transmission.

You all talk about a "hesitation" in between 40-60mph, and most of the time I see that this is chalked up to COPs and spark plugs. It seems as though when these are replaced the problem still exists (sometimes). I would like to recommend your valve body solenoid in your transmission. I have this problem with my LS, but it only happens once in a blue moon. I've worked on my fair share of cars and diagnosed them. I'm not a mechanic, but experience speaks wonders. To me, it honestly doesn't feel like an engine misfire.

In a similar situation with an older car of mine (though it happened on a much more frequent basis and to a larger degree), I had this "stutter" problem. For the life of me, I could not figure it out. Eventually, after I exhausted every possibility, I told myself the only thing it could be is either the valve body solenoid, or the transducer that goes along with the solenoid. I took a gamble and replaced only the solenoid, and sure enough, problem solved.

I'm still trying to figure out what solenoids need to be replaced in this transmission (I know A, B, and C typically go bad). My transmission doesn't give me any grief for the most part. Just on random days there might be a slight delay in the 2-3 shift and ever-so-often the 3-4 shift. And then of course there is the small hesitation at about 50 - 60 mph under slight acceleration, typically after coasting for whatever reason. Again, might be a valve body solenoid.

Just a thought to add to your list of things to maybe replaced should any of you be so inclined. Sorry for the lengthy response, just wanted to explain thoroughly.

CJ

I recently changed the throtle position sensor and it cured the slight hesitation issue I had between 40-50 mph. I am no mchanic by far, but I cured that problem in stead of the one I was actually trying to fix.

In response to my previous post, this is also a very common problem with any car. The TPS is a very sensitive sensor, and can cause all kinds of havok with motors. I would definitely switch out the TPS first before cracking into the transmission. Thanks for the bit of info TNT -- good call.

I know these LS's can be a pain from what I read. Thankfully I've had minimal problems with my '04 and it's just about to roll 67K. However, one thing I do notice is the transmission. ...
CJ

My 04 starting doing this, and changing the solenoid assembly in the transmission did cure it. (It was also having harsh engagement of reverse.)

I keeps my LS in the city and never drive any more than 45mph in any occasion, always used 91+ and I have just about 85k on it and the only problem I ever had was my alternator, other than that I feel worried for my baby after seeing how many lincolns :q:q:q:q up so much and wonder why mine is perfectly fine, for now :shifty: I have this feeling it's going to run perfect until 200,000 miles then the engine will explode.

My 04 starting doing this, and changing the solenoid assembly in the transmission did cure it. (It was also having harsh engagement of reverse.)

That's wonderful to know. Thank you. I'll have that good old extended warranty I paid for take care of this when I have some time :)

Thanks again!

I am having similar "stuttering" problems. Mine happens while holding steady at about 50mph-60mph going between coasting (or barely on the throttle) and accelerating. I plan on replacing the solenoid assembly unless you have other opinions. My LS is a 2005 V8 with 88k.

I am having similar "stuttering" problems. Mine happens while holding steady at about 50mph-60mph going between coasting (or barely on the throttle) and accelerating. I plan on replacing the solenoid assembly unless you have other opinions. My LS is a 2005 V8 with 88k.

That sounds like coils

Members online

No members online now.
Back