Stupid questions about sound system

Flying Dutchman

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hiya gang, newbie here. Ok, I have a 95 Conti and aparently the previous owner had dismantled the amps to the sound system. I had a new stereo put in it before even realizing there were any. So, how do I get those things working again since my system should sound soooo much better than it does. I have to tell you first, I am completely illiterate when it comes to sound systems. I know that there are two amps located in the trunk, wires have been cut from them that I assume would be the power supply and the wiring from the stereo itself. I have been unable to find any schematics for the system to show me the wiring diagram. I also need to remove the 6 cd changer from the center console since it is no longer being used. I will not be offended if you laugh at me for not knowing what is going on. :D

Before wiring anything to 'em I would pull them out to see if they're still working. I twould be a waste to wire it all up only to find out they don't work anymore. It seems kind of odd someone would just cut the wires to the amps if they are still all in working order.

Anyway, if they do work - it'd be good to know what kind of head unit you have in the car right now (make/model), and what kind of make/model the amps are. Since you say there are two, I'm guessing there's one (probably mono / single-channel) for one or more subs and then a multi-channel amp for the regular speakers. Optimally you would need some pre-amp outs on your headunit so you can run those to the amps. You would need some power to the amps as well, which you would run from the battery.
If all the wires are cut it can be a bit of a project to get all the wires back in the car again (did a project like that just last year on my previous car which took me quite a few hours to get finished).

You need the original head unit to match the amp. You can find them on ebay.

Members online

Back