sts overheating

dbmtrman

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I got a call at work yesterday, when my wife drove 2 miles to the mall and our 2000 sts started overheating. I ran up there in my work clothes, and observed that there was a slight coolant loss , with some dripped down near the bottom spoiler area. When she drove it home the engine showed running hot and dash message said something about engine overheating, going to idle speed, just as she pulled into the driveway. She said she heard a ticking sound coming from the radiator fan area. I ran the message system, diagnostic and couldn't find any error codes. If the cooling fans or thermostat went bad, shouldnt' there be an error code in the diagnostic codes?

My thermostat went bad and it never threw a code.

A slight coolant loss could really be a large coolant loss over time and you just didnt notice it before. I had to replace the radiator after 140,000 miles because it was leaking and would overheat.

Its not your radiator. I would almost place money on it that it is your water pump and housing cover leaking. If it isnt that be prepared to hold on tight to your wallet because it will soon empty for head gaskets. Get under the car with a flashlight and look between the drivers side of the oil pan and the subfram and follow where the coolant is coming from. You should be able to see the water pump cover somewhat easily.

Members online

No members online now.
Back