Struts - DIY/or NOT??

pbslmo

Lincoln LS rules
Reaction score
HI guys, My cars is a knocking over the bump/ruts and potholes. Dealer said I need new struts. Of course it would cost right around $700.00 and firestone quoted me for a little over $500.00.

Could I do this myself?

It's the bushings on the front sway bar, so you'll be paying for the shocks and then a new sway bar and the considerable labor to install it. The shocks don't make that noise, but the sway bar does.

It's the bushings on the front sway bar, so you'll be paying for the shocks and then a new sway bar and the considerable labor to install it. The shocks don't make that noise, but the sway bar does.

I wouldn't throw struts out the window just yet, There is such a thing as strut clunk. How many miles does the car have?

It has 94xxx on it. I have had the ball joints replaced last year. The dealer said it was the struts and so did Firestone. Anyone replace them yourself?

Yes, they are self replaceable. Exercise care when dealing with spring compressors and have a good idea of what you are doing. An impact wrench helps out hugely on the spring compressor tool, as there are many turns required on the two bolts at a high torque level, to go from installed on the shocks to "safe to remove" and vice versa.

Members online

No members online now.
Back