Strutmaster

9_8_L_S_C

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok I need to hear from all you who have the strutmaster conversion-hows the ride-I am looking for a bit softer-somthing that will eat up the bumps and such better and still handle well-I am not going with the lowered version because of the wide rims and tires(rubbing).Please no flame war about air verse's coil-I just need honest feed back from those in the know thanks

The springs are definitely stiffer than bags. The lowered kit is definitely really low, but I wouldnt want go with the stock kit either. I'll probably get some spring spacers and raise my lowered kit a touch.

I have both the Standard and the lowered kits plus one Mark still with air ride.

Lower is stiffer and handles well. Cost about $50 to $100 more than standard height

Standard height to me rides very nice and you don't feel the bumps like you do with the lowered kit.

I like the conversions... if you are looking for and air ride repair I'd go with the conversions. If you want a ride close to the air ride you won't be disappointed by the standard height conversion.

Personally I buy from Eddie at American Air Suspension as Eddie gives you better service. They sell the same conversion kits, but Eddie buys back your compressor, and air bags if they are damaged which makes his prices lower. Also Eddie give you a better warranted.

I image that the difference between the two heights of kits considering ride quality can be traced to the change in camber angle. When I aligned my car after installing the lowered kit, the least amount of negative camber I could get was -1.5*(this is in the front, I havent aligned the rear, but it checked out okay).

Ideally, I believe the mark likes to be around 0* of camber, and the more positive camber the better it will ride. This is due to how the road forces are transmitted into the wheel bearing. The more positive camber the smoother they are transmitted.

I would assume that the spring rates on the two sets of springs are the same, but it is possible that they are not.

ordered today-so whats the year thunderbird I use to get a-arms-figure might as well while am at :D

did you get the lowering springs, theres a guy with the lowering springs and 18 steeda speedster wheels on his black mk8 around town i talked to him about a month ago

Dern Humpus said:
I image that the difference between the two heights of kits considering ride quality can be traced to the change in camber angle. When I aligned my car after installing the lowered kit, the least amount of negative camber I could get was -1.5*(this is in the front, I havent aligned the rear, but it checked out okay).

Ideally, I believe the mark likes to be around 0* of camber, and the more positive camber the better it will ride. This is due to how the road forces are transmitted into the wheel bearing. The more positive camber the smoother they are transmitted.

I would assume that the spring rates on the two sets of springs are the same, but it is possible that they are not.

You should always have your camber and alignment adjusted after changing height.. .

I slammed mine so you can't see the tops of my tires and I got all four wheels within spec on factory unmodified eccentrics, but every car is a bit different.

About the rear checking out ok, not to be a grump... but there's no way. The alignment might have been ok but the camber changes drastically with lowering or raising the rear. I thought mine was ok also, until I had time to take the time to really check it. I moved it ALOT, I was seriously surprised how much it was out.

Yep they came today-missing a rear top plate:mad: but its on its way.-I picked up new a-arms today also,but didnt feel like dicking with it today-I found that enlarging the hole on the drivers side made getting that bolt simple.So its all ready to install,all the old stuff is out.I got the regular height kit and they are the red ones:D

Ok all done-ya know the backs were a bitch to get slid in-Glad I got the standard height as it sits perfect for me:rolleyes:

9_8_L_S_C said:
Ok all done-ya know the backs were a bitch to get slid in-Glad I got the standard height as it sits perfect for me:rolleyes:

I did the Arnott kit on the Wife's Mark and the back sits like a 70's Shackle Wagon!! High as hell, HATE IT!! Front is dead perfect and the back is sky high!

I'll heat them up and drop it a bit after the holidays, the RIDE is terrible compared to the bags but its a good solid fix, her air ride ws terminal.

Ok sorry for the delay,here are the pics

springs 001 (Small).jpg

springs 002 (Small).jpg

springs 003 (Small).jpg

springs 004 (Small).jpg

springs 005 (Small).jpg

springs 006 (Small).jpg

My tires/rims are too wide-cruising on the expressway and hit a dip and you hear the crunch sound from the tire hitting the black plastic protector.All good now :)

Here is my 1.5" drop kit about 3 weeks after the install. It has sat for most of that time so I haven't driven it that much.

IM000332.JPG

IM000333.JPG

IM000331.JPG

Members online

Back