Strut Replacement?

I'm glad to find some recent info on doing the struts as I am in a bit of a bind with getting struts for my 2001 LS V8 with the sport package. Thanks to everyone that has posted.

thenextdon13: I guess you had the sport package also so the ASH24465 worked for you? I found one ASH24464 on Amazon and was going to get another one from RockAuto but if the ASH24465 strut is the same part, I will go with that. However, I see that it says "REPLACES ASH24465", so maybe it's not Motorcraft's or not the same quality??

As far as the rears, I seem to be out of luck finding the Motorcraft ones (AT704G and the new part that superseded it, ASH24468, both seem to be impossible to find now). Would the Bilsteins work for me or would MONROE 71345 for the rears from RockAuto work? They aren't specifically listed as Special/Sport struts. I'd appreciate any info as I have 1 front strut and no idea what to get for the rears.

@MacLincoln I'm in the same boat as you!
I think the ASH24465 are for the V6 - thenextdon13 has a manual, so that implies a V6, correct? ASH24464 is for the V8 (gen 1). I imagine the fronts would be a bit different between the two models b/c of the weight difference. Someone who knows please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the rears, I also can't find them. Waiting for @thenextdon13 to get his car back from loaning it to his mother so that he could further comment on the handling. :D
RA sells Ford XW4Z18125BA (gen1, V8 and V6 from the looks of it) but they're OOS. I might wait a bit for them... I've also never seen parts branded as "FORD" on RA, but always MotorCraft.

Please keep us updated on any stock you might find. I'll do the same.

@MacLincoln -
I'm running the ASH24465 because i have a V6 with 'sport' suspension, and it is the spec'd shock for that (I believe.. although now i'm having trouble confirming that). I'm not sure of how they compare to the V8 sports shocks... ,

Ah, @GreyWisent responded similarly.

I'll get some seat time in the car in the next couple of days I believe.

Hi everyone, thanks for replying guys. So, it took a bit of investigating but it looks like ASH24465 which is cross-referenced as BU2Z-18V124-S has a white dot on it based on a few pics I found. It is listed as being for the v6. So the white dot seems to mean "Performance suspension" which is different than Base or Sport. The following thread goes over it, but basically it looks like in order of suspension stiffness (softest to stiffest) it goes:

Base
Sport/Special
Performance/Euro

Plain Ls Or Sport, Heeeeelp!!

So I guess if you want a stiffer suspension the ASH24465 will work even for the 3.9L V8 Sport versions. Otherwise ASH24464 is what would be OEM for the fronts.

@GreyWisent For the rears, I think I'll have to go with a different brand as XW4Z18125BA is discontinued and even the part# that superseded it (ASH24468) is no longer available. These are all the same part#:

'00-'02 V8 Rear "Special" (Sport) Shocks: ASH24468 or BU2Z 18V125 U or XW4Z-18125-BA or AT704G

I'm spending $172 for two ASH24464 for the fronts vs instead getting two stiffer ASH24465 struts for $25 plus shipping from RA. Hmmm...

@MacLincoln I'm in the same boat as you!
I think the ASH24465 are for the V6 - thenextdon13 has a manual, so that implies a V6, correct? ASH24464 is for the V8 (gen 1). I imagine the fronts would be a bit different between the two models b/c of the weight difference. Someone who knows please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the rears, I also can't find them. Waiting for @thenextdon13 to get his car back from loaning it to his mother so that he could further comment on the handling. :D
RA sells Ford XW4Z18125BA (gen1, V8 and V6 from the looks of it) but they're OOS. I might wait a bit for them... I've also never seen parts branded as "FORD" on RA, but always MotorCraft.

Please keep us updated on any stock you might find. I'll do the same.

Car feels good. Happy with the setup. Not nearly as stiff as a 1rst gen CTS-V, but nice and firm.

Members online

Back