Strut assembly

doubledidgit

LVC Member
Reaction score
I searched everywhere for front and rear complete strut assemblies. All I can find are the struts replacements. What can anyone recommend for new strut assemblies.

I couldn't find them either, I used kybs from rock Auto for 55$each and did my own. If ya have more money I'd prolly recommend the Bilstein upgrade, there's a thread about it somewhere. Kyb are better than blown shocks but they definitely aren't sporty.

Thanks for the info. I want to replace the springs, struts, and all the components. I did some research and found Strutmaster makes an easy strut with everything assembled front and rear for 750.00. Not cheap but they are the only ones who make them. Also made in the USA. Ordered front and rears today.

Thanks for the info. I want to replace the springs, struts, and all the components. I did some research and found Strutmaster makes an easy strut with everything assembled front and rear for 750.00. Not cheap but they are the only ones who make them. Also made in the USA. Ordered front and rears today.
Where'd you find those at? Thanks

First of all... it's not a strut assembly. It's a coil over shock assembly.
(Srtutmasters} in North Carolina.

They are junk... and only last about a year. Search "Strutmasters" on this forum... and you will find a number of forum members that were dissatisfied with them.

Don't buy complete assemblies. Re-use your factory springs... and have them installed on the shocks.

OEM is mostly no longer available. Some aftermarket is poor quality. Recommend you buy at the high end of pricing.

Lifetime warranty means nothing if you end up replacing the shocks every couple years.

My existing coil springs are bowed or bent or whatever you want to call it. So where would I find replacement springs. Are you saying the Strutmaster shocks are junk, or the springs are junk, or is the entire coil over strut junk? All the existing parts on the old assembly are junk. I was ready to install new struts i purchased, and upon removing the springs realized the springs are bad, the plastic base is bad, and the boot is bad. Can you give me some options? Thanks.

or is the entire coil over strut junk?
Yes.

Not sure what you mean by "the springs are bowed". Do you mean bent at the bottom tail?

Most parts for the shock are still source-able. The upper mounts, (with boot), can be found on Rock Auto from manufacturers such as Moog and a couple others. Again... don't buy the cheapest.

The bottom plastic spring isolator will have to be sourced from used shocks at a junkyard. Be careful when trying to get them off, because the can crack and break if not handled gently. They are easier to get off rust free shocks.

The isolators were available aftermarket for a few years... but due to low demand they were discontinued.

In the long run...you may be better off getting 4 shock assemblies that are in good shape... from a junkyard... and installing 4 new shocks on them. Again... go for the pricier shocks... and ignore any lifetime warranty as a selling point.

Just keep one thing in mind. If you have a "Sport" LS ... you will want "sport" shock assemblies from.the junkyard LS. If you put "base" shocks on a sport version... you will be disappointed.

Thanks for the reply. Mine is a 2000 4 door v-8. It is our around town car. I have a military M1008 hobby pickup truck. The Steel Soldiers website has been a great source to keeping my 1986 M1008 running. As such, my only real transportation I have that my wife can drive is the car. Figuring I would have it all back together in an afternoon, my urgency is to get it back on the road as quickly as possible. Reading hundreds of strutmaster reviews of satisfied customers including numerous LS owners and the quick turn around time to get it back on the road, I felt that going with an American made product with 22 years in business would be a safe choice. I read all the problems on your website of sourcing parts and was pleased that I found a way to get It back on the road with minimal down time. Having only one vehicle limits your ability to cover other options. I just need a somewhat safe car to get around town. Thanks for your help. I am new to this site and given all the gremlins this car is known for I will most assuredly be appreciative of your help in the future.

Yes.

Not sure what you mean by "the springs are bowed". Do you mean bent at the bottom tail?

Most parts for the shock are still source-able. The upper mounts, (with boot), can be found on Rock Auto from manufacturers such as Moog and a couple others. Again... don't buy the cheapest.
the upper mounts are literally all the same whitebox stuff. unless you get the genuine ones with the orange foam

Congratulations. Report back in a year when the warranty expires.

i really had no problems sourcing parts. It just took a little "homework" ... because I wanted to do an "upgrade" to the suspension.

It is worth to me to get brand new American made springs with all new components and get my vehicle back on the road without having to go to the junk yard and pay for 22 year old springs hoping to get a set better than mine. If the shocks don't last I'll replace them with top of the line, with confidence the remaining components ore new and safe. Peace out!!

Well I hate to burst your bubble... but I doubt the springs and other components are made in USA.

Screenshot from website:

Screenshot_20210616-183318.png

Okay your right. I already know all the components are not made in the USA. All I said was that the springs are made in the USA. Peace out!

I doubt anything is made in USA from strutmasters.

FYI... I just found THIS.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. THOMAS PAINE: Founding Father Quote.

Having recently done my shocks I can tell you that these guys are not wrong. Options are limited, especially if you're in a hurry, but I think I'd pass on that strut Master thing also just for sheer cost alone. Total cost will be like 220 bucks if you can use kybs and do the work yourself, I think next time I do it I'm going to use bilsteins though, just to see if they are much better. They cost about 250 bucks each I think, ha

stop being afraid of the compressor and do it the right way.

strut masters is charging you an extra $500 to put together some trash

stop being afraid of the compressor and do it the right way.

strut masters is charging you an extra $500 to put together some trash
Wish that I had a compressor, couldn't find one anywhere so I used ratchet straps for the rears and an E350 van with a receiver hitch on the front for the fronts, sketchy but effective, lol

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. THOMAS PAINE: Founding Father Quote.

I'm very familiar with quotes from Thomas Paine.

However... reason would tell a person not to sacrifice safety and reliability... just to save money and time.

04_Sport_LS ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back