Stripped one of my swaybar bushing bracket threads.

lseguy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Drivers side closest to front of the car.

The knocking sound returned after replacing my sway bar bushings with the red energy suspension poly bushings 2 years ago. So, I removed them to relube and re-tighten. All went well until I apparently placed the bolt for the drivers side front bolt back in place and cross threaded/tightened the bolt whilt it was half crooked. It would only go in about 50-60% of the way before it wouldnt tighten any further.

I removed the bolt, inspected, and saw minimal damage to the threads on the bolt. I looked down into the bolt hole, and saw the upper threads stripped. Re-insterted the bolt straight and carefully hand tightened as far as possible. Put the socket on it, extensions, and long handled wratchet, and the bolt would still only go about 3/4 of the way down before it would not budge at all.

As a temporary "fix", I removed the bolt, stacked about 3-4 metal washers together under the bolt and re-tightened. The bolt tightened firmly with the bushing bracket solidly in place now.

However, I'd like to fix this properly. Whats the best method to fix that stripped hole in that somewhat tight space?

Thanks

Drivers side closest to front of the car.

The knocking sound returned after replacing my sway bar bushings with the red energy suspension poly bushings 2 years ago. So, I removed them to relube and re-tighten. All went well until I apparently placed the bolt for the drivers side front bolt back in place and cross threaded/tightened the bolt whilt it was half crooked. It would only go in about 50-60% of the way before it wouldnt tighten any further.

I removed the bolt, inspected, and saw minimal damage to the threads on the bolt. I looked down into the bolt hole, and saw the upper threads stripped. Re-insterted the bolt straight and carefully hand tightened as far as possible. Put the socket on it, extensions, and long handled wratchet, and the bolt would still only go about 3/4 of the way down before it would not budge at all.
As a temporary "fix", I removed the bolt, stacked about 3-4 metal washers together under the bolt and re-tightened. The bolt tightened firmly with the bushing bracket solidly in place now.
However, I'd like to fix this properly. Whats the best method to fix that stripped hole in that somewhat tight space?
Thanks

First try running a chaser tap into the threads to clean and straighten them out. Try your bolt then and see if it runs though and pulls up tight.
If it doesn't hold then you have a few choices.
1: If a longer bolt can be used with a nut on the back side?
2: If the metal is deep enough, drill and tap a helicoil?
3: Drill and tap for a larger bolt.
4: Leave well enough alone until you have a problem again.
I suspect #3 will be your option.

Members online

No members online now.
Back