Strange whistling sound from the front drivers area......

izzy

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 V8 Sport 71K miles

So a few weeks back I started having this "chime". Maybe it's not a chime. It's more like a high pitched chime like noise. I have searched extensively but have come up empty handed.

It happens intermittently. Mostly after driving say more than 10-15 miles. When I press the brake pedal it goes away. But comes back when I release the pedal. No codes or idiot lights show up.

It also will sound for about 10 seconds or so after the car has been turned off and key has been removed and will then fade out. Or if I press the brake pedal after turning off.

This has been happening a week or so after my double din radio install and a couple of weeks before I installed my subs and amp. When I installed the amp I had the radio out and all the wiring is as it should be. (Radio installed by best buy)
Here is a video as well. Thoughts?

[video=youtube_share;cGZrjQR2zQE]http://youtu.be/cGZrjQR2zQE[/video]

Is the brake pedal stiffer than usual? Sounds like it might be vacuum related. Can you hear anything if you pop the hood?

Is the brake pedal stiffer than usual? Sounds like it might be vacuum related. Can you hear anything if you pop the hood?

No more stiffness than usual. I haven't listened under the hood. But I will the next time it happens.

Yep, slight leak from one of the valves in the brake booster.

If it's the booster whistling, plan on swapping the master cylinder also. Typical failure is the MC leakingvinto the booster and damaging the rubber.

If it's the booster whistling, plan on swapping the master cylinder also. Typical failure is the MC leakingvinto the booster and damaging the rubber.

Agreed...

Thanks. But not so much thanks. LOL Dammit.

Thanks. But not so much thanks. LOL Dammit.

Well, you can chance it. Just look really good for any signs of brake fluid leaking between the master cylinder and the booster when you get them apart. If you do find any, you'll have to replace the master cylinder, or you will be replacing the booster again.

Well, you can chance it. Just look really good for any signs of brake fluid leaking between the master cylinder and the booster when you get them apart. If you do find any, you'll have to replace the master cylinder, or you will be replacing the booster again.

I feel like "I'll chance it" uttered within earshot of the LS is just asking for trouble. I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on this?

Members online

Back