strange no start problem

mikemark8

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I am completely lost on this one-I know an old guy with a 94, it has 168,000 on the clock. He has owned it since new, and it runs pretty good-I have done plugs, ignition cables, air filter (swiss cheesed the front of the air box)-fuel filter, crank sensor, the air ride is in good shape and does not drop at all. The paint is shot, but I clay barred it and it looks decent,I got a grill for it to replace the toothless one he had. I installed new chrome molding on the sides and fronts after removing the peeled strips in the side inserts, and I replaced the climate controller since his buttons were completely smashed in. It does have an EGR code (OBD1 P432), which I have not looked into yet-but, here's the thing-

It periodically (weeks apart and hundreds of miles traveledbetween each occurence) will not start after being driven. This has happened three times now. NO CEL, no codes, and after it sits for 45 minutes to an hour, it starts like it never happened. He is in another state (NJ) so he calls me, but I am not there to see what is NOT happening-ie, spark, fuel...when I do get there, it is running, and no apparent issues. Without throwing parts at it, I don't know where to start-VCRM, maybe? The battery is new, and it is 12.6 resting and 14.0 idling, so I do not think that is an issue. The first time it happened, it was late at nite and he had it towed after the old battery gave up with very little cranking according to him. I got there two days later, put a charger on the bat, and it fired right up. Two other times since, he went to the bank, or to pick up a sandwitch, came back out-it cranks, but no start. He waited both times for 45 minutes to 1 hour, it starts-WTF? Anyone have any ideas what to look for?

Thanks, I know this is a long one but this guy is almost 70 and not in the best of health-I'd like to help him out.

Crank position sensor. Located by the AC compressor. THe compressor has to be moved out of the way for install making this job a bigger pain than it should be.

Next time it fails to start it can be unplugged and plugged right back in. Practice a couple times! If it fires right up then the sensor is indeed shot.

yea, I thought about that before but I replaced it (see above)-it was good for about 6 weeks before it had to be towed, and when I went over to check it out, I did remove it and clean/check connection and the harness to see if it was damaged at all-part of this issue is when I arrive to check it out, it will start and run with no problems, for weeks and many miles before it happens again.

Edit-crank sensors are known to be somewhat 'touchy' on there things, I do not remember the make but I got it at advance auto and I want to say it cost about $25-it was a PITA to install even though I have done a few, because someone in the past replaced his AC compressor and stripped the head on one of the bolts (either 8 ot 10 mm as I recall)-I had to buy one of the special socket sets to get the thing off. so that I could slide the compressor out of the way. I would think, within reason, a CKS would either work or not work-

Should cost no more than $15. And I still think its the crank, replaced or not try the "test" by unplugging it next time and see what happens. The situation you describe fits the bill.

replaced CPS doesnt mean it's not the culprit.

you have to remember there is also a wireloom involved in the equation as well.

It wouldn't be the first time, a replaced part failed and re-created the issue.

Check the connector and the harness, I've had alot of issues with this type of problem with my '96. Could also be a problem with the ignition sw.

Yea I am still leaning to the Crank sensor-he had a lot of start problems prior to my replacing the last one, it is 'not as bad' (his words!) as before, and I am going to carefully examine the harness and connector. I told him that I would give him one of my 'drivers' so I had the car-it is impossible to diagnose since it won't start, then starts as if nothing is wrong 45 minutes later. No codes, and it runs very good when it is running. Like I said earlier, I feel bad for the guy-he's over 70, and needs a dependable car (he still works 40+ hours)-plus, I want to figure out why this is happening, so I figure if I drive it and it happens to me, I can get a clue as to what is happening. thanks.

I just got another all call from this guy-he left work, stopped at a bar to see friends for about 45 minutes, went back to the car and it cranks but wouldn't start-he tried off and on for an hour to start it, called me, he's about an hour away. i told him to sit for 20 more minutes (hoping for the best) and it STARTED-WTF????
I am swapping vehicles with him on Monday and will FIRST do the crank sensor (thanks Unity and XLR, the most logical conclusion)-why are these cars so STRANGE that they'd go for hundreds of miles, no problems, days/weeks apart, then not start, then start after a short passage of time with NOTHING done to them???? I have said to him, maybe you shouldn't depend on this as a DD, especially since you don't know much about these cars/systems. He loves it and doesn't want to part with it, so I am going to talk him into buying a beater. Glad to have mine as a toy, I do admire those of you who use them as DD, must take a lot of faith?-

well I have had this car here since monday, I did shock bushings, upper and lower control arms, and I did the oil filter adapter gasket (what a pain)-he did not have any start problems for about a month, then it happened three days in a row last weekend-so i got it and loaned him one of my cars...it has not given me any problems starting until today, i was going to bring it back and it wouldn't start-then it started out of nowhere!!?? I thought it might be the alarm module and disconnected it, no difference-sometimes it starts right up, sometimes it just cranks. I replaced the VCRM with another, it started up-then it would only crank...I have tried unplugging and plugging in the connector for the crank sensor, can't say that it makes any difference-sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't. I am going to replace the crank sensor tomorrow, I spent my thanksgiving day working on this thing, because I want my driver back. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas?:confused: :confused: :confused:

im interested in this connnnclusion since im going throught the same thing. two tows in the same month last month. i haavent changed the cam shaft pos. sensor yet though. where is this harness?

the harness and connector are at about 7 o'clock facing the crankshaft, and the 'harness' itself is only two wires going to the connector that attaches to the crank sensor. I bought a new crank sensor from the dealer this time ($50 as opposed to $25 from NAPA) and the connector is available from the dealer for $30, got that too and sodered the wires together and taped the whole mess up. I probably started it 50 times on Friday, and it fired up every time-so I delivered it to him. he hasn't called (yet) to say there is a problem, and I am not jinxing it by calling, so I guess that was the problem. Thanks to everyone who said crank sensor, even though I got a new one before, if it walks like a dog, barks like a dog... it's the crank sensor, I guess:wave

Members online

Back