Stock Radio...How to add amp and subs??

firmbiz94

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok i have a pair of subs and an amp that i want to install in my 05 LS.. Ive done this stuff before on previous cars but never with a stock deck...i dont want to mess up the flush look of the car so im gonna leave the Radio stock inside. I know maybe need a LIne out converter and stuff..but if anyone has the time..can you please explain to me the process of hooking up the LOC and anything else that i might need to know Thanks guys

your going to want to hook up the LOC to these wires here the rear left and rear right speakers, colors are listed, grab them behind the stock stereo very easy to take out, remove the upper vents and the lower ashtry type pocket surround and remove for 8 MM i believe thats the size,

here are the colors:
LR Speaker +/- white/purple - gray/white +,- radio harness or amplifier
RR Speaker +/- white - gray +,- radio harness or amplifier

and you got the battery in the trunk so fuse it up and hook up the amp and run your rcas from the LOC and your set!

So i will not have to remove my radio to get to the remote wire? also i have the 4 speaker system and there is no speaker on the rear deck.. only int he rear door..what is the best way to route the wire to the trunk..also do i just splice the wires at the speacker run them to the trunk them hook them up to the LOC

You'll need to remove the radio to get to the speaker wires to begin with. The car likely doesn't HAVE a remote wire. Fairly few stock systems use a conventional remote output.

For you loc, I'd suggest going to www.davidnavone.com and getting what you need. Really good stuff. Also, navone has a device that detects signal on the speaker wires and provides a remote output. just hook it to the speaker wires, power, ground and the remote out to the amp. When the deck comes on, music plays and it almost instanty provide turn on. Then, when you turn it off, I think it's 5 mins later the unit cuts off the output and the amp shuts down.

I'd put both modules behind the radio so, if you ever DO get an aftermarket deck, you don't have to rip the car apart again to run a remote wire. If you don't ahve room, at least go ahead and run a remote wire along with the RCAs so its done. The wire is cheap and it'll save you aggrivation in the future.

Oh, and as a tip, you can likely hook the remote module's power to the switched power for the radio so that it automatically shut off with the car, not leaving the amp on for 5 mins after shut down. That shouldn't be long enough to drain any healthy battery, but why not.

yea i think i wont have a problem wiring the stuff up even though i never did it with it with a stock radio..but i am a problem thinking about routing the wires to the trunk..i dont know the best route to go..and one more thing..you guys said you do need to take the deck out but i read on some other forum i can just tap into the rear speaker wire and hook up the loc from there.. if i cant figure this out..how much do you think it would cost to get this all instaslled professionally

What if you splice your rear door speakers in to your fronts and put the loc to the rear so you have more control over the subs from the deck.

you couldn't do that, you would raise the impedance causing the factory stereo to malfunction. if you have rear deck lid speakers, you could do that, cause using the rear door speakers would be a PITA to get just for a LOC it would then be easier behind the factory radio, mount the amp to the back of the fold down seat, cut and X and route the cables under the seat back and rear seat and under the trunk liner, it should be simple. if you came to my shop it would be
64.99 for the amp install and about 33.99 for the LOC install plus about 30 for the LOC and 30 for RCA's and roughly 55 for a bare minimum amp kit (8GA) i would go with (4GA) preferably which is about 75.

thanks for the replys guys im go nna do my best to get it done myself and see what happens..if worse comes to worse... ill have someone install it. What is the best way to remove the stock deck to get to what i need.. i have a 05 with the stock deck an d the 4 speaker hookup

i know im beating a dead horse here but i, about ready to do this and i still have 2 questions...if my stock deck doesnt have a remote wire what do i do? do i need to buy that module or can i just tap into any source that turns on with the key? and how do i remove that originial deck to get behind it without tearing it up..thanks

Members online

Back