Stock cd changer to aftermarket radio

jon rall

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 lincoln ls with the alpine sound system. it sounded bad so I gutted all the speakers put new in and got a new double din alpine ixa-w407 car stereo. The deck doesnt take cds so I was wondering if their eould be a way to hook the cd changer in the glove box up to the new stereo? If so what would I need and how would I do it? Thanks!

What he said.

I dont know why people still bother with cd's. Buy an ipod (they even have refub ones) rip all your music onto the computer and copy it to the ipod.

Last edited:
eh. the stock cd changer has its own problems with reliability, and all things with moving parts wear out eventually. so i would probably move on to something more high tech. a little ipod or thumb drive. you won't even have to re-burn cds anymore. just update and go.

so you bought a digital media receiver designed to specifically be used with an ipod, and you want to use a CD changer instead?

the only time i have ever seen a factor cd changer work on a aftermarket deck, was in a old honda where the factory CD player was alpine, the CD changer was alpine, the new radio was alpine AND both radio's used the exact same plug for the data cable.

the ford radios do not use the same data cable plugs, and i would bet that the communication "language " is different between the two units. if this is true, its not going to happen.

i guess if you really need a CD player, you could always get a alpine changer made to work with the DMR

the ford radios do not use the same data cable plugs, and i would bet that the communication "language " is different between the two units. if this is true, its not going to happen.

i guess if you really need a CD player, you could always get a alpine changer made to work with the DMR

I really don't believe anyone would put the work into making an adapter that would allow connection of a factory changer to an aftermarket headunit. The other way around (aftermarket changer to factory headunit) is available for some combinations because there is understandable demand for that.

Anyway, the day of the CD is just about over. Get an iPOD or USB drive an take your entire music collection with you.

Anyway, the day of the CD is just about over. Get an iPOD or USB drive an take your entire music collection with you.

I believe that this is 100% the thought process behind that specific head unit!

I hope not. I refuse to let them force me to buy an ipod (or similar) and then be reliant on a computer to get my music. I'll bet the industry is making a mint on $1 per song vs. the CD price! Granted, you won't have to put up with the crappy songs most CD's have.

I still have an 8-track player in the garage and a whole lot cassettes!

I hope not. I refuse to let them force me to buy an ipod (or similar) and then be reliant on a computer to get my music. I'll bet the industry is making a mint on $1 per song vs. the CD price! Granted, you won't have to put up with the crappy songs most CD's have.

I still have an 8-track player in the garage and a whole lot cassettes!

You must not own one.

You can do so much with it besides music. I used to say the same thing.

The cd is coming to its end just like it ended the era of cassette...which ended 8 tracks and so on.

And if you want the whole album its usually a $9.99 download.

You must not own one.

You can do so much with it besides music. I used to say the same thing.

The cd is coming to its end just like it ended the era of cassette...which ended 8 tracks and so on.

And if you want the whole album its usually a $9.99 download.

That's just it. I don't need anything besides music. I pretty much listen to music only in the car so don't need a anything but a music source. I'm getting pretty frustrated with Sirius as the announcers won't shut up! I know what station I'm listening to and don't care about what's playing on the other channels, who the next music interrupter is nor what group is doing what, where! It's almost as bad as commercial radio!

You don't specifically have to get an iDevice, you could load up a thumb drive or a SD card with music. As far as the iTunes music store they are a rip off. Amazon music is cheaper and of better quality. $5.99>$9.99 for an album released on the same day. Additionally you don't have to carry around a CD book you have a pocket sized device that can hold all of your music. Go digital you will not want to go back. That is why all of us are urging you to go digital.

That's just it. I don't need anything besides music. I pretty much listen to music only in the car so don't need a anything but a music source. I'm getting pretty frustrated with Sirius as the announcers won't shut up! I know what station I'm listening to and don't care about what's playing on the other channels, who the next music interrupter is nor what group is doing what, where! It's almost as bad as commercial radio!

No you may not need it but just having it at your disposal is nice. Ive got a media player, a camera/camcorder, a phone and a gps all in the same device in my pocket.

You can also just get an sc card and play everything off it if you dont want a player. But seriously im in love with mine and i hate apple.

problem fixed

ok, first you need to buy a cd player like so...

then use this adapter to run to the new head unit....

if the new cd player dosent run of batteries. you can use this to power it...

good luck.

cassett.jpg

adapt.jpg

conv.jpg

But seriously im in love with mine and i hate apple.

exactly, i hate a lot of stuff that apple does, but they were brilliant is getting all of the aftermarket support for their devices and nobody else's

Members online

No members online now.
Back