Stock bags new controller

EveryDayBird

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 97 mark8, I have rebuilt the air ride from top to bottom. new bags, solenoids, height sensors, pump, dryer, and lines. But the darn thing just won't work, it will be fine for 2-3 months and then a bag won't inflate. Its always a random bag. The thought happened, what if I were to use an after market compressor(or wired the existing compressor to run via a pressure switch mounted on an air tank) after market tank, solenoid pack, and have the existing bag mounted solenoids wired to stay open at all times. If anyone has any ideas please comment.

Its been done but not sure there are any write ups done
Kirk and another mn guy have done it

I have a 97 mark8, I have rebuilt the air ride from top to bottom. new bags, solenoids, height sensors, pump, dryer, and lines. But the darn thing just won't work, it will be fine for 2-3 months and then a bag won't inflate. Its always a random bag. The thought happened, what if I were to use an after market compressor(or wired the existing compressor to run via a pressure switch mounted on an air tank) after market tank, solenoid pack, and have the existing bag mounted solenoids wired to stay open at all times. If anyone has any ideas please comment.
Sweet looking Turbo Coupe! is she an 87 or 88?

Before going all crazy with new after market compressor or air tank, find someone that has a suspension reader - its called a Starr tester. One of my sensors went bad on and off and the suspension would be fine and then not work right for a day or two and back to working.

I have the tester, used it to try and solve the issue but no luck. I have ohm'ed the wires and they are fine, swapped valves on the rear and same thing. I know that there were a lot of problems with the system from the factory, and the bird is an 88 LX with a turbo coupe nose swap

I have the tester, used it to try and solve the issue but no luck. I have ohm'ed the wires and they are fine, swapped valves on the rear and same thing. I know that there were a lot of problems with the system from the factory, and the bird is an 88 LX with a turbo coupe nose swap
Have you checked or replaced the suspension modules? Have you checked to ensure the grey and black module have good grounds, what about the ground to the frame?

Before going a tank and all of that work I would replace the two modules that control the air ride. One at a time to isolate the issue.

You could install a Rays switch if you can find one. I believe this allows you to raise or lower any bag independently by the press of switch for each bag. You could also look at the wiring diagram and make your switches - it is just a jumper wire to the pump to turn it on and another jumper wire to open the solenoid - it is all in the one module - if you search here you will find that post which gives you the wires to jumper - you have to diode so the current can only flow in one direction, but this you just add to each wire in the correct direction.

Members online

No members online now.
Back