Stock '99 cooling fan junk?

Lincoln Continental

1. Sincoln

Sincoln Active LVC Member

Had an oddball death rattle that sounded like it dropped a rocker arm or something. Turns out the driver-side cooling fan has a serious issue as it's making the ruckus. Are these units typically reliable? Or is there a known defect? Car has around 86k.

2. Svets96

Svets96 Well-Known LVC Member

From my experience I never had problems with mine. Due to just age/mileage and being an electrical component anything can happen. You can do one of 3 things depending what is rattling/rukus sound you have, replace the whole unit, replace the fan relay, or replace the cooling motor/motors. They are small electrical motors that are in front of the front cam cover.

You can get the fan relay at Tasca Ford parts: Cooling Fan for 1998 Lincoln Continental | TascaParts

Rockauto has a Motorcraft cooling fan unit available. Autozone and Napa also have them in stock, but are a little more money.

Keep updating with information.

3. Sincoln

Had no idea the motor by itself was replaceable, but it's definitely out of sorts of mine. Almost like a contact brush broke free, and is getting knocked around. Might go used just to have an extra motor for 2nd fan in case that goes south too.

4. Svets96

Its a pretty easy replacement, that you can do yourself to save even more money. Just watch how it comes apart and place new motor in.

Remember to unhook the batter when you do replace. As extra precaution not to burn anything out or blow a fuse.

5. Sincoln

Got lucky and found an entire shroud assembly locally for $40. The right-side fan is seized, but left side appears OK, which is the one I actually needed. Almost went with a RA motor for roughly the same price, but figured it was worth a gamble having a full assembly on-hand for parts. Really surprised by the heft of the unit. Probably weighs as much as a fender.

6. Svets96

7. Sincoln

Junk yard motor was a bust. While trying to get fan blade off, it knocked some rust loose off inside of the casing, which the magnets just pull in.

If anyone runs into either of their fans failing, you are probably better off getting the motor new. If you do go used, look through the vent holes on the back of the motor. If you see rust scaling on the inner edges through the holes, don't bother. While the case can technically be separated, getting back into place and staying there is probably not going to be fun, unless you have a mig handy.

Also, FWIRW, both motors combined are rather heavy and bulky. WHY they didn't just use the Mark VIII fan here is dumbfounding, as that fan alone can probably save almost 8 pounds off the nose.

8. Svets96

Sorry to hear about the venture being a bust. With an electric component you are probably better off getting new. That way its fresh.

I agree with you about Lincoln using the Mark VIII fan on the Continentals. Been less weight and easier to replace.

Where are you located in Ohio? I'm in Youngstown area.

9. Sincoln

Yeah, looks like Ford went with the large motor set up in some other cars as well. Real head scratcher. I have a mid 90's Legacy winter car that's riddled with rust that just hit 194k miles and still has a flawless cooling fan. Another oddity is Ford running mechanical fans on their other RWD platforms. Those outright steal HP and slow engine response. I'm north of Akron.

10. Svets96

Its crazy I know. I hear ya about the mechanical fans, my F-150 has one and its an '06. Don't know why they did that type of stuff either. You almost live down the street from me, if you think about it. I-76 is a straight shot both ways. Very cool.