Sticking tack needle in a gen 1

wkokaneeman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on why, out of nowhere, the tack needle on my 95 LSC would start to stick? this car has only 43,000 original miles on it, and is clean & beautiful has the work day is long! The tack is getting power, but it just started sticking. Thanks for your thoughts & ideas!

I had the same proble. It seems the gauge face sticker wasn't centered over the hole. The shaft for the needle rubs against the gauge face and causes the motor to wear out sooner... is an explanation that I saw. When I took my tach out the needle shaft was resting against the gauge face. The solution was to replace the tach with a known good one.

On my new 94, the tack stopped at 900 rpm's. The face sticker was off, and I could only see 1/2 of left signal light. I took it apart, cleaned the connections, and it works ok now. Just got the car with 57K on it. I don't know if it was hitting on the face sticker, but I straightened it out anyway. Maybe that was the problem.

The sticking tack has always been a problem that most of the time was a result of the gauge face touching the needle pointer or the shaft, very common problem. Thank goodness years ago someone wrote up the repair procedure.

Members online

Back