Steering wheel

joshua

LVC Member
Reaction score
I hear unwanted noise(Squeeky,whining) in side car when turning steering wheel left to right. Have you guys had similar issue and if so what can be the culprit?

Yes.
There is even a TSB about it. (I don't remember the number.) It said the noise is actually coming from the steering rack, and asked dealers to pour a particular additive in the power steering reservoir to resolve it. If the additive didn't work, then the solution was to replace the rack. I have also found that lubricating the u-joints on the intermediate shaft and lubricating where the shaft enters the rack can help with this noise sometime.

I hear unwanted noise(Squeeky,whining) in side car when turning steering wheel left to right. Have you guys had similar issue and if so what can be the culprit?
Yes.
There is even a TSB about it. (I don't remember the number.) It said the noise is actually coming from the steering rack, and asked dealers to pour a particular additive in the power steering reservoir to resolve it. If the additive didn't work, then the solution was to replace the rack. I have also found that lubricating the u-joints on the intermediate shaft and lubricating where the shaft enters the rack can help with this noise sometime.

My 03 did this when I first got it but I changed my fluid on my car several times and it seemed to make the sound go away. I did this about 3-4 times though. Maybe if it is caught early enough on it also plays a factor.

Last edited:
If you do go the fluid route (I would before replacing a rack), be sure to use Mercon V ATF, not "power steering" fluid.

If you do go the fluid route (I would before replacing a rack), be sure to use Mercon V ATF, not "power steering" fluid.
I changed mine with that for sure with a few extra quarts I had left from the transmission fluid change. In fact when I get the car back I am gonna change it a few more times to be safe as the old was a bit dirty. Honestly I partly think some of this sound on a car this old is due to an older power steering pump. I know ford has had the same crying sound on the ford f-150's I have had in my lifetime. But then again maybe it's just something with a ford steering rack in general. As I know I have replaced them pumps in the trucks I have owned and it never got much better for the crying sound. But it never scared me to drive it and never caused any safety issues.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back