Steering wheel removal '96 towncar

smittman

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm just new to this site but not to owning a Lincoln. I've owned a 1980 towncar, a 1987 Mark VIII and now a 96 towncar. I try to perform all my maintenance work and so far, knock on wood, I'm doing pretty well. Right now I need some advice on removing the steering wheel from my '96 TC.
I need to replace the turn signal switch, so removing the wheel is necessary. I got everything off down to pulling the wheel off and the small bit of threads that were in the holes that the bolts go into for the steering wheel puller just stripped out. I was apprehensive of this happening since the bolt holes were only tapped about a quarter inch into the aluminum housing and looked rather flimsy for the intended purpose. Now I'm stuck. Can I drill and tap those holes out to a larger size and If I do, will I run into something That I should not be drilling into on the other side? Or should I just put up with the "iffy" turn signal switch? It works most of the time but occasionally looses the front signal light and ER flashers. :L

Members online

No members online now.
Back