steering wheel noise

TonyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing what sounds like a rubbing noise when turing the wheel. It doesn't sound like a sigficant mechanical problem, it's just an annoyance. The noise seems to be coming from the area between the moving part of the wheel and the stationary/post part of the steering wheel assembly.

Car is still under warrenty, could the dealer take care of this? What would they do?

I had a 1995 taurus that did the same thing, I kept spraying silicon spray in that area, kinda helped, don't really remember because didn't really care about a noise like that in the taurus. But it's killing me to hear it in the 04LS.

i just got my car back from the delership and it now makes the same noise. i have no idea what it is.

I have the same problem in my 04LS. Not a loud noise but rather annoying when the car is otherwise a smooth quiet ride.

I had the same thing last winter and the dealer fixed it. I can't rembemr for sure what they did. I belive there is a TSB for this issue. I now have the noise again. :(

TonyLS said:
I have an 04 LS

The 2003 and early 2004 models suffered from a grinding noise or roughness in the steering. It is particularly noticeable during low speed parking maneuvers. It is a known issue, and there is a TSB on it which the dealers use to fix it. According to the TSB, the first step of the fix is to add a friction additive to the power steering fluid. If this doesn't work, the steering rack is supposed to be replaced.

My car went through this, and your car seems to be displaying the same classic symptoms. I have a copy of the TSB. Send me a PM with your regular email and I'll send you a copy. In any event, you should arrange to take it to the dealer so they can apply the TSB and get you smooth and quiet again, especially while the car is under warranty.

KD00LS, I'm not familiar with the problem you describe in the 00-02 LS since they have a different steering gear. I have an 03, and am most familiar with that. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Alright guys, this is probably a rookie question but everyone is quite helpfull here. What does TSB stand for? and is the "rubbing" noise from the steering colum really something to be concerned about?

n8bachelor said:
Alright guys, this is probably a rookie question but everyone is quite helpfull here. What does TSB stand for? and is the "rubbing" noise from the steering colum really something to be concerned about?

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. These are informational flyers published by Ford and given to dealers to address specific and recurring problems.

The rubbing noise is not a safety issue, if that's what you mean.

i have the same problem in my 04 v8 and it drives me insane!!! i am also going to have to take the car to the dealership for the second time to replace the soleniod pack in the transmission...i've almost had it with this car...

Bearings?

Could it be a wheel bearing guys? This happened to me but was when the vehicle was moving 20kms and above.. turn to the right would produce a horrible noise like something grinding on the road...

My 03 makes the same noise. It is like a real quiet rubbing noise with a weird whiring sound. One of these days I will get around to looking to see what it is.

steering problem

everyone, it is most likely the rack and pinion. this happened to my car also. annoying rubbing noise. if you are under warranty i highly suggest you take care of it b/c it is like a 900$ something job. if you're not under warranty... get ready to dish out some $ unless you got friends that can do it for you. :cool:

everyone, it is most likely the rack and pinion.
No its the plastic and vinyl on the back of the steering wheel rubbing against the plastic that covers the collumn, and makes a sqeaky noise INSIDE the car when you turn the wheel.
Try shooting some dry lubricant (teflon, graphite, etc.) between teh wheel and collumn. If that doesnt help you will have to take the wheel off and trim off or replace the plastic on the back. Heating and cooling causes the plastic to warp. Once it gets warped bad enough it starts to make contact with the cover on the steering collumn, and over time it rubs off a fine layer of dust between the two peices, the dust creates more friction which makes the vinyl vibrate or squeak as you turn the wheel. That vibration is what you hear.

My 05 LS started making the steering wheel noise about a month ago. I only have 21k on it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back