Steering Wheel Mounted Stereo Control Unit Problems (Solved!)

Michaelait

LVC Member
Reaction score
For the past couple of years, the stereo control unit mounted on the right side of Steering wheel, has been crazy. Trying to change the volume for instance, resulted in changing the station. Not good. After doing some research, I though for sure the clockspring was the problem. NOT!
First, I removed the switch assembly. You do this by removing the two 7 or 8MM bolts on both sides of the back of the steering wheel. They are covered by those plastic covers. Move the air bag to the side. (Don't disconnect the air bag!).
Remove the 2 screws that hold the switch assembly to the wheel. Squeeze and pull the electrical connector from the back of the switch. Take the switch assembly to a place where you can douse the entire assembly with isopropyl alcohol (drug store stuff). Give it a good shower. Then let it dry for about 20 minutes. Remount. Test.
For me, it fixed it perfectly.:) Hope you have the same luck.

I think all of the controls (or, at least, all of the buttons on the one side) are connected to the same two wires. It has 4 wires, which I assume are two for the lighting and two for the buttons. They each have a different resistor, which is how the computer reads which button is pressed. The center vent Message Center and the headlight control switch work similarly. If the contacts got dirty, maybe it increased the resistance enough for the computer to read one button as the next step up

Members online

Back