Steering Wheel Angle Sensor

Hawk03

Dutch User
Reaction score
Dealer indicates mine is bad and needs replaced. If I change it myself do they need to calibrate it using the Ford specific computer?

Dealer indicates mine is bad and needs replaced. If I change it myself do they need to calibrate it using the Ford specific computer?

Yes, according to some passages in the service manual, no according to others. You might try the replacement and see if it seems to be okay.

Is this now a constant problem, or did you just get a check advancetrac light that went away after your next restart? I think that the sensor sometimes gets a bit of dust in it and causes this. You might also try cleaning the existing sensor. You can do that with canned air with it still installed (no need to recalibrate then). Or, you could remove it and clean it with optical cleaner.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x69006.htm~gen~ref.htm

Yes, according to some passages in the service manual, no according to others. You might try the replacement and see if it seems to be okay.

Is this now a constant problem, or did you just get a check advancetrac light that went away after your next restart? I think that the sensor sometimes gets a bit of dust in it and causes this. You might also try cleaning the existing sensor. You can do that with canned air with it still installed (no need to recalibrate then). Or, you could remove it and clean it with optical cleaner.

http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x69006.htm~gen~ref.htm

The lighted icon and "check advancetrac message" has been constant for about two years. I replaced a front wheel sensor two years ago afterwards the Advancedtrac icon was flashing, took it to one dealer who, according to them recalibrated it and said if it came on again they would have to replace the module. I took it to another dealer last week when I had my a/c checked and they said it needed replaced after the diagnostic charge.

I will clean it this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the info.

I finally have some time to replace the sensor. How do I get to it? Is it on the steering column close to the firewall? I've seen the diagrams of where it is located, but I don't know exactly where it is. Anyone changed theirs before and know where it is??

I finally have some time to replace the sensor. How do I get to it? Is it on the steering column close to the firewall? I've seen the diagrams of where it is located, but I don't know exactly where it is. Anyone changed theirs before and know where it is??

I haven't changed one, but it's down near the firewall. It's at the end of the assembly with the tilt and telescope motors. It's a box that goes part of the way over a large disc with a lot of slots in it. In the box is an optical sensor that shoots IR light through the slots in the disc.

I finally changed the sensor today. The Advancetrac light went off when the first time I started the car. When I drove it, the light came back on. Ugh, I doubt I will take it to the dealer anytime soon to have them read the codes.

The install wasn't too bad just make sure you have bendy arms.

:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe I'm misreading something, but what does the steering wheel sensor have to do with the Advancetrac? If a front wheel sensor was replaced, and the Advancetrac light has been on since, then I would be suspicious of a bad sensor/cable assembly, or poor connection at the plug. The sensor you replaced 2 years ago, was the one on the back of the hub for the ABS... correct???

:confused::confused::confused:

Maybe I'm misreading something, but what does the steering wheel sensor have to do with the Advancetrac? ...

Everything.
The job of the AdvanceTrac is to try to keep the car moving in the direction that you are steering. To do this, it has to know which direction you have the steering wheel turned.

"The stability assist system constantly monitors vehicle motion relative to the driver's intended course. This is done by using sensors to compare the driver's steering input and brake application with that of the actual vehicle motion."

After installing a new front ABS sensor two years ago, I've since had to install new front hubs which came with new sensors so those aren't the problem. If it was a rear sensor, I believe the speedo would act erratically (correct me if I'm wrong) which it doesn't.

Drove the car tonight and so far the icon and message are off. I moved the steering wheel all the way in both directions to see what that would do and it didn't turn on the light, fingers crossed.

Everything.
The job of the AdvanceTrac is to try to keep the car moving in the direction that you are steering. To do this, it has to know which direction you have the steering wheel turned.

"The stability assist system constantly monitors vehicle motion relative to the driver's intended course. This is done by using sensors to compare the driver's steering input and brake application with that of the actual vehicle motion."

Yeah, I read that in the manual. " relative to the driver's intended course"

Now I understand. Thanks for the education. Did the Precisiontrac in the Crown vic's and Grand Marquis use the same system?

---Mike---

Just wanted to add a little bit of info that maybe helpful to someone else if they stumble upon this thread like I did. I had the AdvanceTrac light come on and attempted to clear it by using some compressed air, didn't help. Then I went to a local salvage yard and pulled a sensor from a parted out LS and BAM! Light went away and has stayed away, no stealership calibration needed. It is a pain for someone my size to work on this sensor so here is some helpful info. Use a 1/4" drive with 3" extension and leave the universal in the toolbox! Also I recommend that you always work on the bolt closest to the radio stack first! This is for both removing and replacing the sensor.

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I'm having the same issue, light is on and advancetrac message. Code c1277, and I've tried cleaning the sensor and even replacing it with one from a junkyard. I'm not 100% sure if the junkyard one is good or not, but I'd rather not just keep changing out parts and crossing my fingers. I've tried going through some of the steps here 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual , but I don't have a way to initiate the recalibration procedure, so Im going based off of the multimeter readings from the pins. I have an actron cp9580a and I can clear the code, but to my knowledge that's all I can really do. Anyone know if I can get to the recal procedure with this? Otherwise can someone tell me where the ABS module C155 is in step G4?

... Otherwise can someone tell me where the ABS module C155 is in step G4?

Under the hood, front right (passenger side), can't miss it.

s-l225.jpg

I guess I was expecting there to be a connection under the dash. Looks like I'll have to get some longer test probes.

Does anyone have the pin outs for the abs module? I'm trying to go by the procedure in post #4.

the procedure in alldata that I have is in a different order and the pin numbers are different, however the wire colors are the same...

A whole lot changed between 1st and 2nd gens, they only look alike.
Anyway, I should have it. I'll try to post it tonight.

Yeah, the forum scales them. I'm not sure of how to get around that.

I believe it would.
PM me your email address if your email can accept a 7M pdf or a 4.5M zip file.

Members online

Back