Steering fluid leak

Elessee

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The car was parked for a couple months. Today there was that steering whine from lack of fluid. The reservoir was very low. I added about 5 or 6 ounces tranny fluid... There's a good sized oil stain on the asphalt.
There has been a little smoke under the hood for the last couple thousand miles.
Come to a stop with a hot engine and it's drifting out, light color, not much smoke, no odor.
Motor oil level is steady, so I'm pretty sure some steering fluid is getting on the hot exhaust pipe.. I think the right side header.
The question is: From where might the leak most likely be coming from? I've never messed with the steering...

It was parked since Christmas. A cold, dry 4 months of exposure. Might a seal dry out, and leak?
I drove it a bit, no problems, but I can't get under the car yet.

The plan is to make a couple 400 mile round trips next week. If there is a leak, I think the reservoir level will drop enough to notice. Then I'll put it on ramps, and investigate.
Meanwhile I'm studying the shop manual. Thanks for the reply.

I put about 1,000 miles on it, mostly mountain highways, and haven't lost any steering fluid. It was carefully filled to the dipstick "Cold" line, and it's still right there. I guess a seal dried out, shrank, but once it was back in service it swelled up, and now seals properly.
Motor oil is also steady. I recall needing to add some after long rides, but not lately. That's a bit strange..

There's a little smoke from under the car when I stop with the hot engine. Something's dripping on the hot exhaust, somewhere.. I may have a shop, with a tall lift, try to find that for me.

Members online

Back