Steering column won't go in and out.

atikovi

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
In my 2000, but it will go up and down. If I disconnect the wires to the potentiometer it will go in and out but for a second at a time. I'd have to press the switch like ten times to move the column one inch. Most likely the pot is bad? From what I read that part is not available anymore new, and then, I'd still have to remove and take apart the column to replace it. Anyone confirm that? If so, I'll leave it be since I'm just glad I got it to move after pulling that connector out, even if I have to press the switch a few dozen times to get it where I want it. It was all the way out and the airbag was almost in my chest.

...From what I read that part is not available anymore new, and then, I'd still have to remove and take apart the column to replace it. Anyone confirm that? ...

AFAIK, that part was never available separately. The repair for this (from Ford's point of view) has always been to replace the entire steering column. You might be able to get the part from a junkyard. (You'd probably have to remove it yourself.)

Members online

Back