Steele: Limbaugh 'entertainer', whose show is incendiary and ugly

foxpaws

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Limbaugh's latest attacker: RNC's Steele
Jonathan Martin - Politico

On the same night he was offering the keynote address to the Conservative Political Action Conference, Rush Limbaugh drew criticism from an unlikely source: Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele.

In a little-noticed interview Saturday night, Steele dismissed Limbaugh as an “entertainer” whose show is “incendiary” and “ugly.”

Steele’s criticism makes him the highest-ranking Republican to pick a fight with the popular and polarizing conservative talk show host.

But the new RNC chairman’s extraordinary comments won’t sit well with the millions of conservative listeners Limbaugh draws each week, and Steele aides scrambled to limit the damage Monday morning by trying to change the subject.

“Rahm Emanuel and the Democrats know they lose an argument with the Republican Party on substance so they are building straw men to attack and distract,” said RNC spokesman Alex Conant.

“The feud between radio host Rush Limbaugh and Rahm Emanuel makes great political theater, but it is a sideshow to the important work going on in Washington. RNC Chairman Michael Steele and elected Republicans are focused on fighting for reform and winning elections. The Democrats’ problem is that the American people are growing skeptical of the massive government spending being pushed by Congressional leaders like Nancy Pelosi.”

Limbaugh, asked to respond, said he’d save his counter-attack for his listeners.

“I’ll handle it on the radio,” he wrote in an e-mail.

In an interview on CNN with D.L. Hughley, Steele assured that he, not Limbaugh, was in charge of the party before saying that he wanted to put the right-wing talker “into context.”

“Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer,” Steele said. “Rush Limbaugh, his whole thing is entertainment. Yes it’s incendiary, yes it’s ugly.”

Steele’s comments, first noticed by NBC producer Chris Donovan, are sure to rankle Limbaugh in part because they validate the liberal critique of the conservative force: that he’s merely an “entertainer.”

That’s one of the phrases often used by Democrats who seek to diminish Limbaugh. MSNBC’s liberal talk-show host Keith Olbermann, for example, frequently mocks his broadcast adversary as “comedian Rush Limbaugh.”

Steele’s broadside comes as top-level Democrats are working to portray Limbaugh as the face of the GOP and daring anybody in the party to separate themselves from him.

A liberal coalition has aired two ads tying congressional Republicans to Limbaugh and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” Sunday that the radio talker is the “the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party.”

Emanuel also noted that Republicans face repercussions for criticizing Limbaugh.

“When a Republican did attack him, he was — clearly had to turn around and come back and basically said that he's apologizing and was wrong,” Emanuel noted.

He was referring to Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) who last month took a shot at Limbaugh to POLITICO only to appear on his program the next day and plead momentary “foot-in-mouth disease.”

Conant, the RNC spokesman, didn’t say whether Steele would go on the show.

Fox, YOUR headline misrepresents what Steele said. He was referring to a specific comment, not the entire show. You're either ignorant or deliberately deceitful.

What else is new.

That said:

Steele blew it. Limbaugh had his back during the '06 election when Schumer was illegally digging up dirt on Steele, and Limbaugh took up for him on his show regularly.

Steele misrepresented what Limbaugh is and what Limbaugh stands for.

The left is using Alinsky tactics on Rush, and the new castrati in the Republican Party is falling for it.

Frankly, Steele is a coward.

I want Obama to fail. Unfortunately, his success at passing the stimulus is causing the market to fail.

Steele to Rush: I'm sorry
By MIKE ALLEN | 3/2/09 5:58 PM EST
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19517.html

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says he has reached out to Rush Limbaugh to tell him he meant no offense when he referred to the popular conservative radio host as an “entertainer” whose show can be “incendiary.”

“My intent was not to go after Rush – I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh,” Steele said in a telephone interview. “I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. … There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership.”

The dust-up comes at a time when top Democrats are trying to make Limbaugh the face of the Republican Party, in part by using ads funded by labor. Americans United for Change sent a fund-raising e-mail Monday that begins: “The Republican Party has turned into the Rush Limbaugh Party.”

Steele told CNN host D.L. Hughley in an interview aired Saturday night: “Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh — his whole thing is entertainment. He has this incendiary — yes, it's ugly.”

Steele, who won a hard-fought chairman's race on Jan. 30, told Politico he telephoned Limbaugh after his show on Monday afternoon and hoped that they would connect soon.

“I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren’t what I was thinking,” Steele said. "It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently. What I was trying to say was a lot of people … want to make Rush the scapegoat, the bogeyman, and he’s not."

“I’m not going to engage these guys and sit back and provide them the popcorn for a fight between me and Rush Limbaugh,” Steele added. “No such thing is going to happen. … I wasn’t trying to slam him or anything.”

On Monday’s show, Limbaugh reacted both to the comment and to the assertion on CBS’s “Face the Nation” by White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel that the radio host is “the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party.”

Limbaugh said: “I'm not in charge of the Republican Party, and I don't want to be. I would be embarrassed to say that I'm in charge of the Republican Party in the sad-sack state that it's in. If I were chairman of the Republican Party, given the state that it's in, I would quit. I might get out the hari-kari knife because I would have presided over a failure that is embarrassing to the Republicans and conservatives who have supported it and invested in it all these years.”

On the RushLimbaugh.com home page, the transcript is labeled: “A Few Words for Michael Steele.”

In the interview with Politico, Steele called Limbaugh “a very valuable conservative voice for our party.”

“He brings a very important message to the American people to wake up and pay attention to what the administration is doing," Steele said. "Number two, there are those out there who want to look at what he’s saying as incendiary and divisive and ugly. That’s what I was trying to say. It didn’t come out that way. … He does what he does best, which is provoke: He provokes thought, he provokes the left. And they’re clearly the ones who are most excited about him.”

Asked if he planned to apologize, Steele said: “I wasn’t trying to offend anybody. So, yeah, if he’s offended, I’d say: Look, I’m not in the business of hurting people’s feelings here. … My job is to try to bring us all together.”

Limbaugh's latest attacker: RNC's Steele
Jonathan Martin - Politico

On the same night he was offering the keynote address to the Conservative Political Action Conference, Rush Limbaugh drew criticism from an unlikely source: Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele.

In a little-noticed interview Saturday night, Steele dismissed Limbaugh as an “entertainer” whose show is “incendiary” and “ugly.”

Steele’s criticism makes him the highest-ranking Republican to pick a fight with the popular and polarizing conservative talk show host.

But the new RNC chairman’s extraordinary comments won’t sit well with the millions of conservative listeners Limbaugh draws each week, and Steele aides scrambled to limit the damage Monday morning by trying to change the subject.

“Rahm Emanuel and the Democrats know they lose an argument with the Republican Party on substance so they are building straw men to attack and distract,” said RNC spokesman Alex Conant.

“The feud between radio host Rush Limbaugh and Rahm Emanuel makes great political theater, but it is a sideshow to the important work going on in Washington. RNC Chairman Michael Steele and elected Republicans are focused on fighting for reform and winning elections. The Democrats’ problem is that the American people are growing skeptical of the massive government spending being pushed by Congressional leaders like Nancy Pelosi.”

Limbaugh, asked to respond, said he’d save his counter-attack for his listeners.

“I’ll handle it on the radio,” he wrote in an e-mail.

In an interview on CNN with D.L. Hughley, Steele assured that he, not Limbaugh, was in charge of the party before saying that he wanted to put the right-wing talker “into context.”

“Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer,” Steele said. “Rush Limbaugh, his whole thing is entertainment. Yes it’s incendiary, yes it’s ugly.”

Steele’s comments, first noticed by NBC producer Chris Donovan, are sure to rankle Limbaugh in part because they validate the liberal critique of the conservative force: that he’s merely an “entertainer.”

That’s one of the phrases often used by Democrats who seek to diminish Limbaugh. MSNBC’s liberal talk-show host Keith Olbermann, for example, frequently mocks his broadcast adversary as “comedian Rush Limbaugh.”

Steele’s broadside comes as top-level Democrats are working to portray Limbaugh as the face of the GOP and daring anybody in the party to separate themselves from him.

A liberal coalition has aired two ads tying congressional Republicans to Limbaugh and White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel said on CBS’s “Face the Nation” Sunday that the radio talker is the “the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party.”

Emanuel also noted that Republicans face repercussions for criticizing Limbaugh.

“When a Republican did attack him, he was — clearly had to turn around and come back and basically said that he's apologizing and was wrong,” Emanuel noted.

He was referring to Rep. Phil Gingrey (R-Ga.) who last month took a shot at Limbaugh to POLITICO only to appear on his program the next day and plead momentary “foot-in-mouth disease.”

Conant, the RNC spokesman, didn’t say whether Steele would go on the show.

I had HOPES about this guy MICHAEL STEELE Now I think the powers WITHIN were too anxious to QUICKLY FIND a BLACK GUY to PUT OUT THERE (WHICH IS THE FAD RIGHT NOW) so the CONSERVATIVES would look "WITH IT". He's a LIGHT WEIGHT and TOO MOUSY.

Fox, YOUR headline misrepresents what Steele said. He was referring to a specific comment, not the entire show. You're either ignorant or deliberately deceitful.

What else is new.

That said:

Steele blew it. Limbaugh had his back during the '06 election when Schumer was illegally digging up dirt on Steele, and Limbaugh took up for him on his show regularly.

Steele misrepresented what Limbaugh is and what Limbaugh stands for.

The left is using Alinsky tactics on Rush, and the new castrati in the Republican Party is falling for it.

Frankly, Steele is a coward.

I want Obama to fail. Unfortunately, his success at passing the stimulus is causing the market to fail.

I had hopes for MICHAEL STEELE but now I think they were in such a rush to find a conservative BLACK GUY they screwed up. HE'S MOUSY,,TALKS TO SOFTLY and a LIGHT WEIGHT.

Steele to Rush: I'm sorry
By MIKE ALLEN | 3/2/09 5:58 PM EST
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/19517.html

Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele says he has reached out to Rush Limbaugh to tell him he meant no offense when he referred to the popular conservative radio host as an “entertainer” whose show can be “incendiary.”

“My intent was not to go after Rush – I have enormous respect for Rush Limbaugh,” Steele said in a telephone interview. “I was maybe a little bit inarticulate. … There was no attempt on my part to diminish his voice or his leadership.”

The dust-up comes at a time when top Democrats are trying to make Limbaugh the face of the Republican Party, in part by using ads funded by labor. Americans United for Change sent a fund-raising e-mail Monday that begins: “The Republican Party has turned into the Rush Limbaugh Party.”

Steele told CNN host D.L. Hughley in an interview aired Saturday night: “Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. Rush Limbaugh — his whole thing is entertainment. He has this incendiary — yes, it's ugly.”

Steele, who won a hard-fought chairman's race on Jan. 30, told Politico he telephoned Limbaugh after his show on Monday afternoon and hoped that they would connect soon.

“I went back at that tape and I realized words that I said weren’t what I was thinking,” Steele said. "It was one of those things where I thinking I was saying one thing, and it came out differently. What I was trying to say was a lot of people … want to make Rush the scapegoat, the bogeyman, and he’s not."

“I’m not going to engage these guys and sit back and provide them the popcorn for a fight between me and Rush Limbaugh,” Steele added. “No such thing is going to happen. … I wasn’t trying to slam him or anything.”

On Monday’s show, Limbaugh reacted both to the comment and to the assertion on CBS’s “Face the Nation” by White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel that the radio host is “the voice and the intellectual force and energy behind the Republican Party.”

Limbaugh said: “I'm not in charge of the Republican Party, and I don't want to be. I would be embarrassed to say that I'm in charge of the Republican Party in the sad-sack state that it's in. If I were chairman of the Republican Party, given the state that it's in, I would quit. I might get out the hari-kari knife because I would have presided over a failure that is embarrassing to the Republicans and conservatives who have supported it and invested in it all these years.”

On the RushLimbaugh.com home page, the transcript is labeled: “A Few Words for Michael Steele.”

In the interview with Politico, Steele called Limbaugh “a very valuable conservative voice for our party.”

“He brings a very important message to the American people to wake up and pay attention to what the administration is doing," Steele said. "Number two, there are those out there who want to look at what he’s saying as incendiary and divisive and ugly. That’s what I was trying to say. It didn’t come out that way. … He does what he does best, which is provoke: He provokes thought, he provokes the left. And they’re clearly the ones who are most excited about him.”

Asked if he planned to apologize, Steele said: “I wasn’t trying to offend anybody. So, yeah, if he’s offended, I’d say: Look, I’m not in the business of hurting people’s feelings here. … My job is to try to bring us all together.”

We need leaders with BRAINS and BALLS right now. STEELE IS TO MOUSY,,AND SPEAKS TOO SOFTLY WE NEED AN "ALAN KEYES" type.

Foss, I just copied the last part of the 2nd paragraph - basically, for the headline. I didn't see DH Hughley's show, but it sounds like it was a 'general' comment, and not a specific comment - do you know what specific comment was being discussed?

But, in actuality, I am far less interested why it was said, as the ramifications of the comment.

It paints a very interesting picture of the Republican party.

Who is in charge, who really controls the party? The head of the RNC, or Rush Limbaugh? It looks like a powerful right wing radio personality has the party by the balls.

I personally think this is fascinating. Dealing a lot with the media, this trend, which has been going on since the presidential election, has sort of culminated in this confrontation between Steele and Limbaugh.

So, you have Steele groveling, back pedaling, and basically giving way to a pundit.

As Bryan said 'bitchslapping'. What a compelling picture of the party.

Wow - is the Republican party in trouble. :)

It looks like a powerful right wing radio personality has the party by the balls.

You have it backwards...

Limbaugh is, more or less, the defacto head communicator for the entire conservative point of view; which has always been the base of the Republican party. There has always been that disconnect between the elites in the Republican party who look at it purely from a party standpoint and winning over voting blocks, talk down to and view with contempt the conservative base. Gerald Ford and even Nixon were prime examples of that view. Reagan was a great example of conservative base. You really should listen to the speech. It is hardly "hateful" or "sinister" or whatever else the MSM wants to label it. It does convey conservatism very well and gives a different (and more accurate) perspective on the rift in the Republican party that you don't hear unless you actually consume conservative (or at least less liberal) news in addition to the MSM news.

None of us are worried about the party, the only concern is that the country is in trouble.

At what point are the Democrats going to take ownership of the economy or recognize that his statements, actions, and policy affect it?

This post isn't about that Cal... maybe another thread?

What 'speech' - the little 30 second clip of Limbaugh's rebuttal Shag? I can't find a link to a speech.

And does Limbaugh really represent a large percentage of the Republican party?

This post isn't about that Cal... maybe another thread?
you've never been one to feel constrained by the actual subject of the thread. I figured you could easily throw in a one sentence soft-shoe answer.

And does Limbaugh really represent a large percentage of the Republican party?
No, he represents the opinion of a large percentage of the country.
I've met a lot of people who didn't like "RUSH LIMBAUGH" (as defined by the MSM), but they always seemed to agree with the substance of his arguments when they didn't know it was "RUSH LIMBAUGH" making it.

An interesting article from The American Conservative...

How Radio Wrecks the Right

Limbaugh and company certainly entertain. But a steady diet of ideological comfort food is no substitute for hearty intellectual fare.

By John Derbyshire

Just some fun excerpts... from a left perspective at least...

Much as their blind loyalty discredited the Right, perhaps the worst effect of Limbaugh et al. has been their draining away of political energy from what might have been a much more worthwhile project: the fostering of a middlebrow conservatism. There is nothing wrong with lowbrow conservatism. It’s energizing and fun. What’s wrong is the impression fixed in the minds of too many Americans that conservatism is always lowbrow, an impression our enemies gleefully reinforce when the opportunity arises. Thus a liberal like E.J. Dionne can write, “The cause of Edmund Burke, Leo Strauss, Robert Nisbet and William F. Buckley Jr. is now in the hands of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity. … Reason has been overwhelmed by propaganda, ideas by slogans.” Talk radio has contributed mightily to this development.

It does so by routinely descending into the ad hominem—Feminazis instead of feminism—and catering to reflex rather than thought. Where once conservatism had been about individualism, talk radio now rallies the mob. “Revolt against the masses?” asked Jeffrey Hart. “Limbaugh is the masses.”

In place of the permanent things, we get Happy Meal conservatism: cheap, childish, familiar. Gone are the internal tensions, the thought-provoking paradoxes, the ideological uneasiness that marked the early Right. But however much this dumbing down has damaged the conservative brand, it appeals to millions of Americans. McDonald’s profits rose 80 percent last year.

I enjoy these radio bloviators (and their TV equivalents) and hope they can survive the coming assault from Left triumphalists. If conservatism is to have a future, though, it will need to listen to more than the looped tape of lowbrow talk radio. We could even tackle the matter of tone, bringing a sportsman’s respect for his opponents to the debate.

I repeat: There is nothing wrong with lowbrow conservatism. Ideas must be marketed, and right-wing talk radio captures a big and useful market segment. However, if there is no thoughtful, rigorous presentation of conservative ideas, then conservatism by default becomes the raucous parochialism of Limbaugh, Savage, Hannity, and company. That loses us a market segment at least as useful, if perhaps not as big.

Conservatives have never had, and never should have, a problem with elitism. Why have we allowed carny barkers to run away with the Right?

I do miss the conservatism of Buckley...

you've never been one to feel constrained by the actual subject of the thread. I figured you could easily throw in a one sentence soft-shoe answer.

I almost always am replying to 'zingers' that the right just tosses into these threads...

Nope, I get to pick and choose my zing replies...

Foss, I just copied the last part of the 2nd paragraph - basically, for the headline. I didn't see DH Hughley's show, but it sounds like it was a 'general' comment, and not a specific comment - do you know what specific comment was being discussed?
It was the comment that Rush made about wanting Obama to fail.

I knew you didn't see the clip or hear the audio, or you wouldn't have misconcluded.

Next time get your facts straight.

I knew you didn't see the clip or hear the audio, or you wouldn't have misconcluded.
Foss - I did see the video clip of Hughley's show that was on Politico - you couldn't tell from that either, from the editing it sounds like Steele is just talking generalities...

So, I read the article, and saw the clip - sorry - that is what was available to me at the time. I still haven't seen the entire segment that featured Steele on Hughley's show - do you have a link, or a transcript?

Then avoid the cuteness and just answer it straight.

Ah Cal, you cannot be bossy to me, even at your grumpiest... Today is "Take your toy to work day" at where I work, so the Caddy ventured out of the garage, his top down, exhaust growling, and sneaked up to 130mph for a tiny bit on the way to work, tagged a 5 series...

It is a beautiful day.:)

Ah Cal, you cannot be bossy to me, even at your grumpiest...
Hardly. I'm not being bossy, merely offering a productive suggestion.

But, I'll take your advice, I'll start a new thread and ask you the question there.

Any of you worried about Rush's weight gain? Man his age; with his previous health problems should watch his diet, else he may not be around to push conservative ideals much longer.

Maybe I'll email his show.

So, you have Steele groveling, back pedaling, and basically giving way to a pundit.

As Bryan said 'bitchslapping'. What a compelling picture of the party.

The Party is not in trouble. We are getting people in line and getting ready to weed out the lightweights. We have become RINO intolerant.

Either the Country makes a very hard turn right in the next election or all is lost.

If you are a conservative and you kiss a liberals ass, they'll use it against you. There is no compromise. No getting along with liberals. The only dissent the Dems allow is for our party to bash our own, otherwise, libs are proving themselves to be quite the intolerant bunch with all the power they have.

Sound kind of like Hitlerism the supreme beings the Conservatives.. hmmmmm ... We know they believe they are better than the rest of us and their ideas are better than anyothers. They are supreme ...

Sound kind of like Hitlerism the supreme beings the Conservatives.. hmmmmm ... We know they believe they are better than the rest of us and their ideas are better than anyothers. They are supreme ...

Are you aware of just how profoundly stupid that comment reads?

If you were to summarize Hitler and the Nazism, you would simply define it as a group of people who though their ideas were better than any others?

Members online

No members online now.
Back