Steam?

The WiseGuy

FUHGETABOUTIT
Reaction score
I just bought a '93 Conti. After driving in for a couple days I noticed some steam coming from underneath the engine under the belts when you park the car and turn it off. I had it checked out at a mechanic and they found nothing wrong. It has been cold out so I'm hoping and guessing it's just due to the cold, just showing the steam from the engine. Any thoughts?

first thought is either water pump, or lower hose, or the outlet pipe where it connects to waterpump. Also, there are 2 hoses on top of water pump (1 heater, 1 bypass).

if ya gotta pull the water pump, its a backyard do-able.. but not real easy. get a genuine ford manual for it, as there are specific bolts/torques/and one or 2 will need some sealant on them. Also, you may need to raise the passenger side of engine (unbolting 2 motor mounts to raise it about 4 inches for clearance).

I just did my 91's... it wasnt fun, but was doable.

:I Water pump is most likely cause mine did the same thing. Better have it checked out, see if the pump is bad if it is replace it as soon as possible, cooling problems on these cars can definately lead to headgasket failure. So If it turns out to be the water pump replace it. $300 for a water pump (which is the max you could pay) is better than $1400 for a new headgasket or motor.

I took it to a garage and it was indeed the water pump. Thing that suck is I filled my conti up all the way to full with gas and can't go anywhere until I get it fixed Monday. :Bang Eh oh well, I appreciate the help. :yourock:

Members online

No members online now.
Back