State of Fear, courtesy of Obama

fossten

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Still, this plan will require significant resources from the federal government –- and yes, probably more than we’ve already set aside. But while the cost of action will be great, I can assure you that the cost of inaction will be far greater, for it could result in an economy that sputters along for not months or years, but perhaps a decade. That would be worse for our deficit, worse for business, worse for you, and worse for the next generation. And I refuse to let that happen.
In other words, government first, only government. You people out there need us to decide for you how to spend your, errrrrr, OUR money.

That's very similar to what was said about the banking crisis too...under Bush. And the initial bank bailout they were talking about also increased in size.

Or perhaps you remember the original teeny, weeny amount that Bush Co told everyone the Iraq war would cost..$50-$60 Billion was it?? .Do you remember that one??

That's very similar to what was said about the banking crisis too...under Bush. And the initial bank bailout they were talking about also increased in size.

Or perhaps you remember the original teeny, weeny amount that Bush Co told everyone the Iraq war would cost...Do you remember that one??
Do you remember this being said on the news? Or was it in hearings? And who refused to listen, and who obstructed Bush's attempt to fix it?

By the way, the Iraq War has been a drop in the bucket compared to the pork Obama has already signed into law.

Well....trillions to Iraq is hardly a drop in the bucket IMO. Especially when you guys were told it would only cost a few billion. Never mind the cost of American lives lost there....

EDIT: For Obama to understate the bailout as bad as Bush Co. in comparison to the original Iraq war tab of $60 Billion....his bailout for the economy would have to be what....$16 Trillion??? LOL.....

Ron's been drinking.:D

And no, I didn't watch the liar lie tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron: "Nuh-uh! 'Cuz the war, it cost, like, a gazillion bajillion dollars, yeah!"

One needs to factor in all the costs associated with 9/11. Loss of business, increased travel costs, etc. The costs are endless and in the 10's of billions.

Another attack and our way of life is toast.

Actually this book was a good read - not only because it highlights costs that you might not think about, but as a detective story on trying to get those cost figures and working within the federal government's layers of bureaucracy...

i don't know if I agreed with all their 'costs' but, a lot of them were interesting and ones I hadn't considered...

The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict
Linda J. Bilmes, Joseph E. Stiglitz

Readers may be surprised to learn just how difficult it was for Nobel Prize-winning economist Stiglitz and Kennedy School of Government professor Bilmes to dig up the actual and projected costs of the Iraq War for this thorough piece of accounting. Using "emergency" funds to pay for most of the war, the authors show that the White House has kept even Congress and the Comptroller General from getting a clear idea on the war's true costs. Other expenses are simply overlooked, one of the largest of which is the $600 billion going toward current and future health care for veterans. These numbers reveal stark truths: improvements in battlefield medicine have prevented many deaths, but seven soldiers are injured for every one that dies (in WWII, this ratio was 1.6 to one). Figuring in macroeconomic costs and interest-the war has been funded with much borrowed money-the cost rises to $4.5 trillion; add Afghanistan, and the bill tops $7 trillion. This shocking expose, capped with 18 proposals for reform, is a must-read for anyone who wants to understand how the war was financed, as well as what it means for troops on the ground and the nation's future.

In other words, government first, only government. You people out there need us to decide for you how to spend your, errrrrr, OUR money.

You need to get a job and make some money, instead of sitting around all day eating cheese and listening to Right Wing Radio.

Another attack and our way of life is toast.

I disagree. I think another attack will simply piss off the American people more than ever. Truly, our way of life was affected by 9/11, but it bounced back all the same. After 9/11, I continued to go to school and work. I drove my Lincoln. I surfed the Web. I hung out with my friends at various beverage-oriented establishments. And if we get attacked again, guess what? I will go to school and work. I will drive my Lincoln. I will surf the web. I will hang out with my friends at various beverage oriented establishments. The only difference now is that when I fly it is much more of a PITA than it used to be - and even still, we have adapted and I (along with millions of other flyers) learned to deal with the increased security.

I disagree. I think another attack will simply piss off the American people more than ever. Truly, our way of life was affected by 9/11, but it bounced back all the same. After 9/11, I continued to go to school and work. I drove my Lincoln. I surfed the Web. I hung out with my friends at various beverage-oriented establishments. And if we get attacked again, guess what? I will go to school and work. I will drive my Lincoln. I will surf the web. I will hang out with my friends at various beverage oriented establishments. The only difference now is that when I fly it is much more of a PITA than it used to be - and even still, we have adapted and I (along with millions of other flyers) learned to deal with the increased security.
If Chicago goes up in a mushroom cloud, likely the Fed will institute martial law.

You won't be going anywhere.

If Chicago goes up in a mushroom cloud, likely the Fed will institute martial law.

You won't be going anywhere.

You could make a case for, perhaps, people of Middle Eastern descent being placed under some type of arrest or moved into internment camps if Chicago were to be attacked, but believing that Martial Law will be implemented on account of a terrorist attack is paranoia, plain and simple. When has a terrorist attack on US soil ever resulted in Martial Law? There's a first time for everything, but that is by no means a guarantee that it will happen.

You old timers just keep on reinstalling that fear and ignorance in yourselves :D Other people might do something stupid, like live their life.

Just to be clear, what you're saying is after 9/11 you got used to the changes, and in the event of more changes, you'll simply adapt and accomodate those changes as well- so long as they don't interfere with your television and alcohol consumption.

Things will get ugly if there's another attack, and the target of the attack will influence the response. But if you mix external fear with the internal fear we're already starting to experience, it's a volatile mix.

You could make a case for, perhaps, people of Middle Eastern descent being placed under some type of arrest or moved into internment camps if Chicago were to be attacked, but believing that Martial Law will be implemented on account of a terrorist attack is paranoia, plain and simple. When has a terrorist attack on US soil ever resulted in Martial Law? There's a first time for everything, but that is by no means a guarantee that it will happen.
We've never had a nuclear attack on US soil.

Members online

No members online now.
Back