Starting issues?

00greenls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have 00 3.9l v-8 and sometimes when i try to start my car it won't start. Usually it will turn and turn and then it sounds like its about to start where it catches and car doesn't start and then the alarm goes off!!
Other times car starts no problem at all. I can't figure this out and it is ticking me off. Today after work it wouldn't start at all and the alarm would keep going off. I would keep trying and still no start and now and before it begins to click also while trying to start. I asked coworker to give me a jump start and low and behold the car started no problem at all.
So this leaves me to the question could it be the battery or the computer chip in the key or an ignition or starter issue? I know these cars are very sensitive to battery issues and can wreak havoc on electrical system if they are about to dei or are drained in the least bit. they only like fully charged or brand new batteries. But if it is the battery then why the hell can i still start it at times.
Btw the car has been doing this for months but today was the last draw because it wouldn't start period! Please help!!!!! Thanks for any and all help or replies.
Ps-if it is battery where can i find a battery for it....everywhere around here doesn't carry one for the ls(advance auto,autozone etc etc).

its not the key, if it was a key issue, the PATS light (center of dashboard near windshield) would blink real fast and the car will not crank.

is the alarm that is going off the factory or an aftermarket?

It sounds like classic symptoms of battery failure to me.
Is the battery five or more years old? - Replace it.
Can you measure the battery voltage before you try to start the car? If it is less than 12.6V - Bad battery.
Can you measure the battery voltage while starting the car? If it is less than 9.0 V - Bad battery.
Can you measure the battery voltage while the car is running? If it is less than 13.8V or more than 14.8V - Alternator problem.

The battery is sealed with a connection for a vent tube. You need to replace it with the same. It is a dealer only item and is about $115. I've heard rumors that Napa might have a fit, but don't cheap out. Make sure it is sealed with a vent tube connection.

green,

It's the battery. No question about it. The exact same thing happened to me last month. It's the battery. Joegr battery check is spot on.

Lincoln Dealership wanted to charge me ~$125 for it. The Ford Dealership, since most of what we have is FORD OEM parts, sold me one for $99. Alot cheaper than the Lincoln Stealership and closer to home.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I went to advance auto by my house and they tested battery and told me it was bad. The only thing is that they didn't carry a battery for my type of car. I measured battery in car and replaced it with one they had there with similar measurements but realized it didn't have vent. Found one that had vent on battery and had 700 cold cranking amps which was better than the stock 650 but i had to extend and reroute vent tube to battery. Final cost was 95 dollars with 3 year warranty and 8 year pro rate warranty if i buy same battery again. I had to rig tray to get it to fit tight since it was skinnier from side to side but fixed that with small piece of wood. The only other pain was that the terminals were on right side of battery instead of left but with some patience was able to get it to work and fit properly. The car now fires up immediately and noticed that my steering wheel is moving in and out again too,it didn't before for some reason lol!
Hopefully this was the cure and not something else! If anything happens again i'll keep you updated so this can help anyone else out in the future if they encounter the same thing. Man i'm glad i have a place to go to like this to get help and info for our own specific cars!
Once again thanks a million and i'll keep my fingers crossed!
Oh and 1loudls yes it was factory alarm that was going off....not sure why especially if it is only the battery to blame but it did.
It would take long time to start and sometimes would start and other times it sounded like it caught to where engine was started and then alarm would go off. It had its days where it would start no problem other times it took several tries and then in the end it wouldn't start and alarm would go off too,lol!!! So embarrassing! Thanks all!!!!!

I had that same problem today...I guess i need to go buy a battery. Damn

Members online

No members online now.
Back