starting issue

eastcoastLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
When I started my car today, I was watching the cluster and noticed all the needles (rpm, speed, temp, fuel) spike. This is the second time this has happened. Is this some kind of code? Does your LS do this? I'm concerned because I'm about to drive it 8+ hours all interstate driving. The first time this happened was about 2-3 weeks ago. Car runs fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

I noticed this happen when my battery died. But my car also wouln't turn over at this time. Voltage was around 11v. It's never happened to me when everything was normal.

DAVE
2006 LS V8

did it again.. no clue why, no reason for it to.. car runs fine... no one ever experience this?

First check your terminals for corosion. If their clean it's time for a new battery. Ford products spike on a cleared computer. Once the car is started the alternator will keep it runnin. It happens when all the voltage is used for a start, thus reseting the system. Your radio settings are reset after this right? not the stations, but the bass and treble?

I noticed this happen when my battery died. But my car also wouln't turn over at this time. Voltage was around 11v. It's never happened to me when everything was normal.

DAVE
2006 LS V8

same exact thing and i have a 2000 i was doin some tracing noticed that car was only pullin about 11 volts and went to start gauges did full sweep, alarm went off, and car did not turn over

i'll just start riding around with a spare battery incase it decides one day to not turn over. better not actually, unless i find a way to vent it.. there is no evidence in the maintenance records of a new battery so i'm guessing its still on the original.

The LS has a history of strange happening when the battery is dying. If it is indeed the original 7 year old battery that would be a place to start and if not it is still time to replace. That old battery doesn’t owe you anything. Defiantly go with a battery that can be vented to the outside as in OEM, no matter what people say about Optima batteries they do vent under certain conditions to inside the cabin; not healthy.

There is a reason they have a vent tube running through the floor of the trunk. The electrolyte used in lead-acid batteries is Sulfuric Acid, if it decides to spill, or boil out into the trunk it will eventually eat right through the floor, and it will release some pretty nasty odors in the process that I'm sure you don't want to be breathing.

Id say this is a case of a battery going down the tubes. Don't beat around the bush for too long or you may end up stranded.

Same thing just happened to me. Gauges spiked one day turning it on but it did turn over. Next morning it would not turn over. It was the battery and I just picked up a new one at O'Reillys for $70.

its been happening about once a day now...

just curious but the lense in the top of the battery looks red inside, isn't it suppose to be green?

its been happening about once a day now...

just curious but the lense in the top of the battery looks red inside, isn't it suppose to be green?

Yes. If it's red then you need a new battery. Should solve your spike problems. I just got a new one at O'Reilly's for about $65.

oh yeah, another thing, i have a capacitor hooked up. its reading 11.31 - around lower 11's - with the key turned without the engine running.

If your battery doesn't maintain about 12.6v after a full charge with no load... you've got a problem. If it's below about 12.1-12.2, the battery isn't in very good shape. Keep in mind, this is a no load, static state.

Members online

No members online now.
Back