Starting issue with 2001 Lincoln LS V8! some re

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Just recently I have had an issue with my LS when I initially start the car.....I would say 1 out of 10 ten times when I go to start it, the car turns over several times before it fires up....this is all to weird because other times it will barely need to crank once before she pops right off...any thoughts what might be causing this is much appreciated and if anyone knows what part(s) I might need to solve this issue I thank you in advance also....I don’t want to assume it’s a starter right away....but for some reason my mind is going there...of course it could be fuel issue to I suppose but I have a fairly new fuel pump and new fuel filter in her...Thanks again for anyone willing to chime in

Have you checked fuel pressure anyway to verify proper spec ? I would do that 1st. Won't be a starter issue if shes turning over. If it cranks slow or "drags" it could be that but most likely battery weak. Depends on how long it has to crank before starting ..some may be normal depending on cold start vs hot etc, but excessive cranking before starting, after engine has warmed up especially, is almost always fuel or spark related. In some rare cases it can be a badly clogged cat, but that should cause a hard start all the time and not be so random.

Last edited:
Have you checked fuel pressure anyway to verify proper spec ? I would do that 1st. Won't be a starter issue if shes turning over. If it cranks slow or "drags" it could be that but most likely battery weak. Depends on how long it has to crank before starting ..some may be normal depending on cold start vs hot etc, but excessive cranking before starting, after engine has warmed up especially, is almost always fuel or spark related. In some rare cases it can be a badly clogged cat, but that should cause a hard start all the time and not be so random.
I will look into the fuel pressure ...thanks for the input Carl ...I admit I had to do a bit of modifications with the plastic fuel hose connection that connects to the bigger nozzle so I'll see if it's still holding up ....I'll be changing all cop's and plugs shortly ...I'll post update after changing them out with new

Check battery voltage while starting. Weak batteries can cause prolonged starting.

Check battery voltage while starting. Weak batteries can cause prolonged starting.
Hey Joegr thanks for the response ...I just recently replaced the serpentine belt... I replaced old belt with a continental gator back it’s measured at 105 inches. This new belt measured longer than the old one in need of replacing....do you suppose it's not turning the alternator enough? I think this problem started happening after the belt replacement.

Last edited:
I would expect a loose belt to give you some other symptoms too.

I think you were right my plugs needed replacement she seems to be starting without any trouble now
C7548255-260F-41AC-9710-B7573AD953B0.jpeg

I have a 2001 Lincoln Ls I Believe Alternator Was Dieing Kept Giving Jump Starting One Day Was On The Freeway Goin about 70-85 an car cut off had push to autozone had it fixed by a mechanic car never started can someone please help me with information with to cash app $$$

Members online

No members online now.
Back