Starter or Not?

joegr,

You mention bad install of the starter. Is there any way you can put it in incorrectly? Felt like it slide right into place so I bolted it up. The entire end is open (doesn't have the hood like lots of starters) so I don't even think you could put it in 180° off if you tried, could you?

I don't know how possible or likely it is to have the starter installed incorrectly. I just wanted to list all possibilities.

Sure, and I appreciate the help. I'm at a loss on this so any suggestions are appreciated. Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait now because it's raining...again. I have too many projects going on at the same time, working on 2 cars in my garage and this one in the driveway. Guess I'll work on one of the others for now. This is the only one I need to get done, it's in my driveway on ramps. The others are projects with no deadlines (just taking up my garage space).

Unless you have a cooling system leak or water was introduced onto the engine, there should never be moisture on your engine. Doesn't matter the weather.

So it appears my engine was turning over, it just didn't sound like it (like the person earlier mentioned turning over with no compression). I found the flexplate to be turning, tried messing with the shift handle, starting in neutral, locking and unlocking the car to see if it was a PATS system issue, no luck. Finally, out of frustration I held the key in the crank position for like 30 seconds and it started popping off and eventually started. I guess the only thing I can say is if it sounds like the engine is not turning over, it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't...be sure to verify it before spending too much time assuming it's not. Between messing with the car and surfing the net for ideas, I spend a few hours on this.
Thanks joegr!

So it appears my engine was turning over, it just didn't sound like it (like the person earlier mentioned turning over with no compression). I found the flexplate to be turning, tried messing with the shift handle, starting in neutral, locking and unlocking the car to see if it was a PATS system issue, no luck. Finally, out of frustration I held the key in the crank position for like 30 seconds and it started popping off and eventually started. I guess the only thing I can say is if it sounds like the engine is not turning over, it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't...be sure to verify it before spending too much time assuming it's not. Between messing with the car and surfing the net for ideas, I spend a few hours on this.
Thanks joegr!

So.... was the engine flooded??? Hold the loud pedal to the floor while starting. That will cure a flooded issue.

So.... was the engine flooded??? Hold the loud pedal to the floor while starting. That will cure a flooded issue.

Engine may have been flooded, not sure. Probably because it ran rough for a little after starting. I never even tried to hold the pedal to the floor for the flooded condition because I truly didn't think it was cranking over prior to removing the crank position sensor and finding out it was turning. I had two others over help me push the car off the lawn into the driveway and all three of us thought it sounded like the engine wasn't turning over, just spinning the starter motor.

After finding the motor was actually turning over, I didn't suspect it flooded as much as a PATS system issue but I wasn't clear why that would allow the starter to turn at all. I went out and bought a second key today just in case as well. The spare quit working about 2 years ago, chip inside must have gone bad. I've been worried about it since, but hadn't acted on it. After this little incident I decided I'd better go get another key before it's too late.

PATS keeps the starter for running when it is triggered...

Members online

Back