Starter/Key/Trasponder problem????

morton1351

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so the other day i went to start my car...put my key in everything came on and works perfectly fine the way it normally does....then i turn the ignition to start and absolutley nothing happens. I got a new battery with all the equivalent statistics needed, checked all the fuses, checked all the relays.. nothin. So i started reading on here and there was a thread about that little led light on the dash blinking means the transponder chip in the key is bad. So i did a little more research and that seemed like the most likley outcome. So i got a new key made and got it programmed to my car...still nothing tried to reprogram my old key... nothing.

Does anyone have any clue whats wrong here? Please.

When you turn the key, do all the accsessory items (radio and windows) work? Do you hear anything when you turn the key to start?

yes everything works the way it should....with the exception of the car starting hahah. yea when i turn the key to start i can hear a few relays clicking over but thats it nothing else

make sure its all the way in park...I know it sounds dumb, but it happens..

when mine won't start and the light flashes, it will crank...just no fire. otherwise you may have a bad solenoid or starter.

yea i tried what you said made sure it was in park tried all kinds of combinations of igniton and shifter and crap and still same :q:q:q:q......then i started messin with those 4 buttons that control ur display and it said "check traction control" "fuel computer data error" and "engine sensor error"

so im guessin that means my computer magicly fried its self and im screwed?

really sounds like a battery thing...check all of your connections in the trunk

also check your ground where it connects to the body in the trunk, if your hose fell off your battery it can cause your terminals to corrode.

If your battery does not have enough to turn the motor over it wont do ANYTHING! And the stock motorcraft batteries are total crap. Throw a pair of jumpers on and try it.

yea like i said i got a new battery with a little more cranking amps than the motorcraft battery that it had. and i removed all corrosion from the ground that connects to the battery and i checked any wire in the trunk that had to do with the starter and they arent corroded.

yea me neither lol. is there anyway i can check that myself, like what to look for so i dont have to get my car towed to some shop thats gonna over charge me.

You said you herd a few clicks when you tried to start. How many cold cranking amps is the new battery putting out? You need at least 850 CCA.
Check your starter wires and look on your starter for signs of arking. If that's all good, I would lean toward the starter. You can check with a multimeter. Key on the car. Check at the negitive and positive leads on the starter for battery voltage (12v). If you do not have Batt voltage at the starter, the starter is not your ptoblem.
Your going to need help with the next step. Have someone atempt to crank the car while you check the battery voltage at the starter. If the voltage drop is more than 70% of Batt vltage, the starter is more than likely the problem.

Check the starter relay. It's in the Power Distribution Box on the leading edge of the passenger-side fenderwell, right behind the headlights (at least on the 2nd Gen cars). IIRC, it has the same specs as the horn relay, so you can swap the two and see if that makes a difference. See your Owner's Guide to figure out which one is the starter relay; if you don't have an OG, look in the Tech section at the top of the forum.

like i said i got a battery with more cold cranking amps than the one that was on there. i made sure all related relays and amps were good, and the only clickin i hear when i try to start it is relays not the motor

like i said i got a battery with more cold cranking amps than the one that was on there. i made sure all related relays and amps were good, and the only clickin i hear when i try to start it is relays not the motor

Did you look at the wires on the starter?

yea.... i have no idea at all anymore so i just gave in got it towed and its at a shop...but thanks for yalls help anyway

If you still having problem, try swap starter relay with horn relay or wiper relay. all are same relays. I have this problem before before and new relay fixed it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back