Start/run car without intake manifold

T-Flip

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok i know this is a bad idea lol, but I just did valve cover gaskets, new coils and plugs, fixed injector connectors and I want to check for leaks, particularly in the spark plug wells and around the left hand side valve cover since that's harder to get to. This is a v6 btw

My question is can I run the car briefly without the intake manifold so I can see everything? I'm assuming i would need to hook up the necessary sensors around the Throttle body to get it to work. And block off the tb cooling hose. Any advice on how to do this properly if at all possible?

As far as I know the only things that are disconnected besides what's on the intake tubing are the dpfe sensor and the egr, and idk if this will affect successful startup.

I can't see anyway that could work. There's no throttle, so the engine would suck in as much air as it could. IF the PCM knew this (it can't, no MAF seeing all that air), the only way it could get close to proper fuel to air mixture would be to run the engine at max speed/power, so it would be over the red line. Instead, with the MAF not connected, it will assume normal idle airflow, and so the mixture will be too lean to ignite.

(I am assuming you mean just the top half of the manifold.)

Assuming you can even get it to run, I can see a whole lotta bad stuff happening quicker than you can stop it...like...really really bad really really really quick

Did you mean the intake? Like after the throttle body? Reading the work you described doing, it's most plausible. In that case it would run but not long enough for you to check for leaks. Just put the intake on and test it.

Yes guys this was a stretch, thanks 4 the replies. I've seen a few vehicles pull it off before, I just didn't know if it was possible with this car. I guess no one really tried haha

Possible for anything pre fuel injection... not so much for anything after that.

Besides... running it for a few seconds isn't really going to show any oil leaks. Only driving it after proper torque and sequence... is going to show if the job was done right.

Ok I put it back together, a while back.. Valve covers don't leak but there's oil in the plug wells already after pulling the cylinder5 coil :/ I'll have to redo this again soon

Try re-torquing all the bolts in the proper sequence. When I do the VCG's... I do the sequence 3 times.

Once at half the torque value. Then full torque value. Then another full torque to make sure.

The actual sequence is important too.

It's in the manual. Maybe someone here can provide a diagram for that. I don't currently have the means.

Members online

Back