start problem

MrWilson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
After i let the car sit for a few min, just starting today...never showed any signs of problems b4, the first time i turn the key to start her up, it just gives me all electrics...but no start, or even an attempt. I let it go, and try again, and starts right up...whats up with that? Mabey its just my lack of sleep is getting to me, and im not turning all the way.

MrWilson said:
After i let the car sit for a few min, just starting today...never showed any signs of problems b4, the first time i turn the key to start her up, it just gives me all electrics...but no start, or even an attempt. I let it go, and try again, and starts right up...whats up with that? Mabey its just my lack of sleep is getting to me, and im not turning all the way.

If the starter soliniod doesn't click it sounds like a bad ground or a low battery

damn, i was thinking it was somthing silly like that. could someone gimme a quick guestimate on that? and how easy is it to replace, or if ne1 has instructions for it...send em here.

If it's anything like my 97 it'll be a pain in the ass if it's the starter or starter solenoid. The solenoid is bolted to the starter, so that makes it more fun. I had the same problem. The starter is on the passanger side tucked up next to one of the catalytics. There are three bolts holding the starter on, and the solenoid is bolted to that. You'll need a 3/8" socket wrench, universal joint and a 3" extension, at the least. It takes quite a deal of patience and some contorsionism to boot. It took me a few hours total, including figuring it out as well as fighting the starter out from under the car.

AutoZone has brand new starters for $130. They come with the solenoid, and I was unable to find just the solenoid for sale.

Of course it could be a poor connection too. If it has a spade connection at the starter that is often a weak point. Check that for corrosion or poor connection. Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.
Back