Stalling on Startup

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Odd problem! Past few days Ive been almost stalling on a warm startup. Have zero issues on a cold start, full "LS oem tune up" filters etc. Only if I try to start warm after 5-15mins do I feel a bad stalling sensation almost misfire. Zero codes. It literally gets better by the second and after 15secs it runs fine.. If I floor it in the process I cant budge the needle, after that its totally fine. Only odd thing Ive noticed while driving is a wierd whistle from behind the steering wheel like from the intake area around 1k-1.5k. Installed a new air fliter a few weeks ago no issues.. Note that it just reached 70-80 degrees past few days and my trip odometer reset itself.

Odd problem! Past few days Ive been almost stalling on a warm startup. Have zero issues on a cold start, full "LS oem tune up" filters etc. Only if I try to start warm after 5-15mins do I feel a bad stalling sensation almost misfire. Zero codes. It literally gets better by the second and after 15secs it runs fine.. If I floor it in the process I cant budge the needle, after that its totally fine. ...

This part is somewhat typical of a leaky fuel injector. Still, I'd check battery voltage during the problem time.

Battery is a year old but I suppose. Not sure of the whistling sound. I would think an injector would throw a code and misfire. No change in gas mileage.

Battery is a year old but I suppose. Not sure of the whistling sound. I would think an injector would throw a code and misfire. No change in gas mileage.

You're not checking the battery voltage while running to check on the battery. It's to check on the alternator. (Still, I don't really think it's going to be your problem.)

I
Is your LS cranking over at a longer duration before popping off or does she fire up after 2 or 3 cranks? Have you performed the proper air leak test at air hoses? What does the bottom of your oil filler cap look like? Any white milkshake substance? Have you checked fuel pressure or had the shop check this? Did you scan for any codes that might be hiding even though check engine light isn't on?

When was the last tune up? Did you check Under the COP's and plugs for oil pooling?

Just literally got my Peterbilt back which last week was on the hook, towed to a dealership (53ft trailer and all, driveshaft removed).

Started sputtering, huffing and puffing at full throttle. Ran ok at about 75% pedal. More than 85Km/h and she’s complain again.

Got it off the roadways into a lot and stalled out on me. Fearing I was gelling up, tore into both the water seperator and secondary fuel filters with some diesel 911 anti-gel fuel adjective. Was not the problem.

I’d prime the fuel manually and after lengthy cranks she’d turn over but stall out after a minute or so of high idling.

Fuel filters not waxing up, nothing frozen 3/4 tanks of fuel.

Mobile mechanic ... read code, engine light had come on. Low Fuel Rail Pressure.

Could not be fixed roadside.

Towed, left at dealership while I rounded the week in a Ryder rental.

Just got the Mighty Money Maker back and warranty work order explained air present at injector returns, blow by at injector 4 & 5.

6 1865847PE O-RING INJECTOR
6 1638270PE O-RING INJECTOR
6 1313120PE BOLT-INJECTOR M8 X 55
6 2127551PE RING SEAL-INJECTOR
1 1924761PE GASKET-VALVE COVER

All good now,
ready to pull loads once again.

Injector O-rings and a good cleaning of all involved. Truck not even three years old. Close to 400k miles on it.

Fn thing !!!

Last edited:
I just did a complete OEM tune up cooling overhaul as well not even a year ago. Car runs amazing other than the pos auto tranny im stuck with. (Still looking for a good rebuilt one). I scanned immediately and multiple times nothing with torque pro. Oil was fine and just changed it. Told dealer to check if it did it again but its been fine since then. I havent found any air leaks. I do have a slight whistle but I have a brand new air filter as well so perhaps I hear it more. Its gone down since a little it seems. Going to check intake plastic for cracks anyway.

On both this LS 60k and my gone 04 which had 113k ok it I always turned the key twice to build up fuel pressure before crank because it takes a little longer. Fuel filter was changed as well. 93 octane always. I feel like it was fuel related or needs a cleaning. Ironically though this began when it got hotter outside. Same thing happened last year to me 1 time so hoping its not electrical. Today its hot again lets see..

I just did a complete OEM tune up cooling overhaul as well not even a year ago. Car runs amazing other than the pos auto tranny im stuck with. (Still looking for a good rebuilt one). I scanned immediately and multiple times nothing with torque pro. Oil was fine and just changed it. Told dealer to check if it did it again but its been fine since then. I havent found any air leaks. I do have a slight whistle but I have a brand new air filter as well so perhaps I hear it more. Its gone down since a little it seems. Going to check intake plastic for cracks anyway.

On both this LS 60k and my gone 04 which had 113k ok it I always turned the key twice to build up fuel pressure before crank because it takes a little longer. Fuel filter was changed as well. 93 octane always. I feel like it was fuel related or needs a cleaning. Ironically though this began when it got hotter outside. Same thing happened last year to me 1 time so hoping its not electrical. Today its hot again lets see..
Good idea...It still might have something to do with intake or some air hose leaking ...hopefully you resolve this issue ....could always put some fuel injector cleaner in the car...wouldn't hurt to clean everything out ...I would still check fuel pressure and really examine for any air leaks or melted/ cracked hoses ...

How about we think along the lines of injector leak down tests ? How’s the fuel pump doing? Any strong fuel smells?

No smells of fuel only coolant. Find a leak in my intake today..probably it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back