SST Install instructions

I just did mine a few days ago. I took one off a 2003. they are inter changeable except the trim, you can just pry it off. I actually just took the shifter apart in the car so I wouldn't have to get under the car. yeah i got the D4 issue but i could always go to the jk yard and get a pcm.

You would still have to get a dealer or someone with the right equipment to marry the replacement PCM to your car, if you wanted to be able to start your car after swapping the PCM.

I am a happy owner of a 2003 Ford Thunderbird, similar to the LS under the skin, but the T-Bird forums lack much of the technical info you folks enjoy sharing.

I am interested in understanding the disadvantage, if any, of linear shift over SST for my type of driving. My car has SST and I normally drive in D5 for full automatic shifting and I am not interested in the 'sporting' use of SST but occasionally want to downshift lower than D4 for engine braking on long downhill stretches.
shift03.jpg vs. shift02.jpg
With SST down shifting beyond D4 requires rocking the selector repeatedly until reaching the desired gear. Although I have not driven a linear shift version of this automatic I assume it is similar to conventional ones where one pull on the lever (OK, right and back) to the desired gear is all that is required. I am considering a switch to the conventional shifter and would appreciate any comments on this. I realize a session with WDS @ Ford may be required to reconfigure the PCM for the electrical signals on the new shifter. Please remember I only downshift manually for hill descent and I do not touch the shift lever for any other aspect of 'performance' driving.

shift03.jpg

shift02.jpg

I am a happy owner of a 2003 Ford Thunderbird, similar to the LS under the skin, but the T-Bird forums lack much of the technical info you folks enjoy sharing.

I am interested in understanding the disadvantage, if any, of linear shift over SST for my type of driving. My car has SST and I normally drive in D5 for full automatic shifting and I am not interested in the 'sporting' use of SST but occasionally want to downshift lower than D4 for engine braking on long downhill stretches.
View attachment 828472029 vs. View attachment 828472030
With SST down shifting beyond D4 requires rocking the selector repeatedly until reaching the desired gear. Although I have not driven a linear shift version of this automatic I assume it is similar to conventional ones where one pull on the lever (OK, right and back) to the desired gear is all that is required. I am considering a switch to the conventional shifter and would appreciate any comments on this. I realize a session with WDS @ Ford may be required to reconfigure the PCM for the electrical signals on the new shifter. Please remember I only downshift manually for hill descent and I do not touch the shift lever for any other aspect of 'performance' driving.

No 'Bird ever left the factory with SST. If you have it someone added it (top is SST, bottom non-SST). SST is quite helpful in mountainous driving. In SST the gear selected is the only gear available. I surmise that if you do have the shifter you can't access D4, yes? I don't think a dealer would install an LS calibration into a T-Bird; unless it was a Ford mechanic-owned 'Bird.

No 'Bird ever left the factory with SST. If you have it someone added it (top is SST, bottom non-SST). SST is quite helpful in mountainous driving. In SST the gear selected is the only gear available. I surmise that if you do have the shifter you can't access D4, yes? I don't think a dealer would install an LS calibration into a T-Bird; unless it was a Ford mechanic-owned 'Bird.
Jeff, my car came from the factory with SST according to the Monroney Label and the brochures show it as an option on all 2003 and later T-Birds. Wasn't available on the 2002 5R55N transmission. D4 works just fine and was never recalibrated. Transmission is a 5R55S.

This was not my question though. I understand the popularity of 'tap' shifting but I'm a traditional old fart and prefer linear shifting which allows me to downshift directly to any gear I want to hold my speed on long downhill stretches of highway, PCM & speed permitting. I don't play with gear changes or shift at redline. I drive like there is a license examiner in the passenger seat, LOL. My question is simply are there any disadvantages to the linear shifter considering my requirements :confused:

Since I'm a newbie, from my Welcome Wagon post:
Hello :) I am a happy owner of a 2003 Ford Thunderbird, similar to the LS under the skin, but the T-Bird forums lack much of the technical info you folks enjoy sharing. Admin asked me to expand on 'who I are': I am a retired automotive engineer and mechanic and enjoy the luxury of a one bay well equipped service shop with a Rotary Lift (and 12' ceiling). I may be a septuagenarian but I still ride a 1300 cc motorcycle (Honda Fury) occasionally 500 miles in a day. Love Dogs .

... My question is simply are there any disadvantages to the linear shifter considering my requirements ...

AFAIK, no. I share your same preference there, but not to the point of trying to replace the shifter.

W
Jeff, my car came from the factory with SST according to the Monroney Label and the brochures show it as an option on all 2003 and later T-Birds. Wasn't available on the 2002 5R55N transmission. D4 works just fine and was never recalibrated. Transmission is a 5R55S.

This was not my question though. I understand the popularity of 'tap' shifting but I'm a traditional old fart and prefer linear shifting which allows me to downshift directly to any gear I want to hold my speed on long downhill stretches of highway, PCM & speed permitting. I don't play with gear changes or shift at redline. I drive like there is a license examiner in the passenger seat, LOL. My question is simply are there any disadvantages to the linear shifter considering my requirements :confused:

Since I'm a newbie, from my Welcome Wagon post:
Hello :) I am a happy owner of a 2003 Ford Thunderbird, similar to the LS under the skin, but the T-Bird forums lack much of the technical info you folks enjoy sharing. Admin asked me to expand on 'who I are': I am a retired automotive engineer and mechanic and enjoy the luxury of a one bay well equipped service shop with a Rotary Lift (and 12' ceiling). I may be a septuagenarian but I still ride a 1300 cc motorcycle (Honda Fury) occasionally 500 miles in a day. Love Dogs .

Interesting..... Learn something new every day. With the non-SST shifter your only option for holding a gear is 1-3. Once you engage D4 or D5 you're back in full auto mode. I drove Pikes Peak years ago using the SST. It proved quite useful up and down. One thing about the LSes manual shifting is the gear you select is all you get. It won't upshift and will just bounce off the rev limiter. If you're above 3rd when coming to a stop it will downshift to 3rd.

Thanks for your input Jeff :)

With the non-SST shifter your only option for holding a gear is 1-3.
How is this a disadvantage ? I expect I could hold 4th for engine braking in D4.
Screenshot_2015-03-28-10-10-30-1.jpg

If you're above 3rd when coming to a stop it will downshift to 3rd.
How is this an advantage ?

Once you engage D4 or D5 you're back in full auto mode.
I normally use D4 for a little engine braking on descents because it's one simple motion but if I need more hold back it's a PITA to shift back to D5 over to SST and back twice to 3rd.
Most folks would say just use SST from the start but it's still two motions vs. one and feels (to me at least) counter-intuitive.
If I forget to shift out of SST after the descent I take off in 3rd after a stop. Using 3rd on a conventional shifter I would still enjoy normal automatic startup.

One thing about the LSes manual shifting is the gear you select is all you get. It won't upshift and will just bounce off the rev limiter.
I don't see how this is an advantage ?

I drove Pikes Peak years ago using the SST. It proved quite useful up and down.
OK, now we're getting somewhere :D Please explain why you found this quite useful.

Screenshot_2015-03-28-10-10-30-1.jpg

Thanks for your input Jeff :)

How is this a disadvantage ? I expect I could hold 4th for engine braking in D4.
View attachment 828472058

How is this an advantage ?

I normally use D4 for a little engine braking on descents because it's one simple motion but if I need more hold back it's a PITA to shift back to D5 over to SST and back twice to 3rd.
Most folks would say just use SST from the start but it's still two motions vs. one and feels (to me at least) counter-intuitive.
If I forget to shift out of SST after the descent I take off in 3rd after a stop. Using 3rd on a conventional shifter I would still enjoy normal automatic startup.

I don't see how this is an advantage ?

OK, now we're getting somewhere :D Please explain why you found this quite useful.

Not saying it's an advantage, just saying how I use it. On the Pikes Peak drive I used the SST to control downhill speeds and to keep a gear around the corners on the uphill. Basically, I wanted to control which gear I was in at all times. The only advantage is being able to keep a selected gear and not let the trans up-shift on you. The best 0-60 time is in full auto, D4.

The reason the trans shifts to 3rd when stopped (or close to it) is the car can't move forward from a stop in 4th of 5th.

Not saying it's an advantage, just saying how I use it. On the Pikes Peak drive I used the SST to control downhill speeds and to keep a gear around the corners on the uphill. Basically, I wanted to control which gear I was in at all times. The only advantage is being able to keep a selected gear and not let the trans up-shift on you.
Jeff, that I understand and as I noted earlier that is not how I drive. Do you think it's fair to say that the linear shifter (non STS) would not be a disadvantage to my style of driving or do you see any downside for me ?

The reason the trans shifts to 3rd when stopped (or close to it) is the car can't move forward from a stop in 4th of 5th.

mine wont ever shift down to third on its own, but when its in either 4th or 5th, it will down shift to either 2nd or 1st depending on how much I slow down (almost have to come to a complete stop before it will go down to 1st). it will also downshift into 2nd and then 1st

well for me when driving up and down the dragon, it a huge difference... remember most people aren't driving pikes peak and the dragon to because its the way to go to get somewhere, so people going there are going for a spirited drive.

for going down, there is no where near enough engine braking in any auto settings, but plenty of engine braking from either 3rd or 2nd added benefit, as your coming out of the turn, you're already in the correct gear so you dont have to wait for the car to figure that one out.

as far as going up, the last thing you want when slowing down coming up to the next turn is for the car to up shift and then once you get back into the gas, again you have to wait for the car to down shift one, two or three gears and then kick in harder than if it was already in the right gear, not to mention having to wait if it needs to down shift multiple times...

for your style of driving, probably not really a big deal.

for going down, there is no where near enough engine braking in any auto settings, but plenty of engine braking from either 3rd or 2nd added benefit, as your coming out of the turn, you're already in the correct gear so you dont have to wait for the car to figure that one out.

as far as going up, the last thing you want when slowing down coming up to the next turn is for the car to up shift and then once you get back into the gas, again you have to wait for the car to down shift one, two or three gears and then kick in harder than if it was already in the right gear, not to mention having to wait if it needs to down shift multiple times...
Understood :) but one can do the same with the conventional shifter simply by selecting a 3, 2 or 1 don't you think ?

AFAIK, no. I share your same preference there, but not to the point of trying to replace the shifter.
I blame Porsche for introducing the Tiptronic 25 years ago. Seems to me it's more of a marketing ploy for weekend racers.
I agree, it's a little OCD to consider replacing the shifter, thus my questions to make sure I won't loose some function in the process that would otherwise benefit me.
By reverting to a conventional selector that I have used with satisfaction for 55 years I would gain the benefit of reduced and intuitive motion for range and gear selection.

mine wont ever shift down to third on its own, but when its in either 4th or 5th, it will down shift to either 2nd or 1st depending on how much I slow down (almost have to come to a complete stop before it will go down to 1st). it will also downshift into 2nd and then 1st

1st Gen?? My '06 went to 3rd......That is IIRC :)

I blame Porsche for introducing the Tiptronic 25 years ago. Seems to me it's more of a marketing ploy for weekend racers.
I agree, it's a little OCD to consider replacing the shifter, thus my questions to make sure I won't loose some function in the process that would otherwise benefit me.
By reverting to a conventional selector that I have used with satisfaction for 55 years I would gain the benefit of reduced and intuitive motion for range and gear selection.

I believe you'll lose D4 and shifting to your present D4 position will actually get you 3rd. Remember, the PCM reads the shifter linearly; the position under D5 on the SST shifter is D4, while on the non-SST shifter it is 3rd.

If you never use SST why not leave it as is? SST gives you control of 4th and 5th where the standard shifter only gives 1-3.

Understood :) but one can do the same with the conventional shifter simply by selecting a 3, 2 or 1 don't you think ?

no, really I don't... as for downshifting and upshifting with the SST, I know that i just have to reach up and slap it once or twice very quickly and my hands are back on the wheel similar to driving a car with a proper gear box. when grabbing the standard auto stick, you would have to pay more attention to make sure that you don't over slide the shifter into either too low or too high of a gear for what you need at that time. I would rather keep more of the focus on the driving portion as to making sure I don't screw up the shift.

1st Gen?? My '06 went to 3rd......That is IIRC :)
no, my 1st gen had the standard shifter, its the 03 that has the (reverse mod) SST shifter!

I believe you'll lose D4 and shifting to your present D4 position will actually get you 3rd. Remember, the PCM reads the shifter linearly; the position under D5 on the SST shifter is D4, while on the non-SST shifter it is 3rd.
I would expect the same thus a date with the dealer and WDS.

If you never use SST why not leave it as is? SST gives you control of 4th and 5th where the standard shifter only gives 1-3.
Are you saying a down shift will not occur when selecting D4 (moving the shift lever to the right from D5 on the non-STS) ?

I would expect the same thus a date with the dealer and WDS.

Are you saying a down shift will not occur when selecting D4 (moving the shift lever to the right from D5 on the non-STS) ?

I just noticed, Is BC British Columbia??? You Canadians got arrays we didn't; like a Sport V6 LS.

Anyway, yes. The PCM won't read D4 as it reads (depending on the calibration; sport or non-sport) the shifter vertically. So in the non-sport calibration the shifter "sees" 3 directly under D5.

It could be difficult here to get a dealer to change calibrations. I believe the instructions are here somewhere.

I believe the instructions are here somewhere.
I did read the calibration instructions a while ago but just spent a few hours searching and can't find them again. Something about removing the VIN on WDS, reentering the VIN and then selecting sport (or non- sport in my case) calibration ???

Anybody able to post a link to the instructions previously posted on the Dealer's WDS recalibration for a change to STS ?

I did read the calibration instructions a while ago but just spent a few hours searching and can't find them again. Something about removing the VIN on WDS, reentering the VIN and then selecting sport (or non- sport in my case) calibration ???

Anybody able to post a link to the instructions previously posted on the Dealer's WDS recalibration for a change to STS ?

That's it. When the WDS asks to verify the VIN select "no". Then when it asks for the correct VIN type in the car's VIN (yes, it's the same one that was just rejected) and select, in your case, a non-sport calibration.

Members online

No members online now.
Back