Sporadic High Idle

Hawk03

Dutch User
Reaction score
When the car is stopped, in gear or in park the car will have a high idle. The high idle is around 1200 rpm. This does not happen all the time and mostly happens when the car is warm but not always, very sporadic when driving. One stop light it will have a high idle the next light down the road will have a normal idle approx 700rpm. This occurs under normal driving conditions.

Not sure what is causing this. I changed my plugs and coils a year ago with Motocraft parts. Car has 95,000 miles on it.

Any input on where to start to look for solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you have a gen I, then I would vote for sticking IAC as well.
You may be able to fix it for a while just by cleaning it. (Remove it to clean it.)

Thanks guys, I was leaning that way too from what I read but wasn't sure if it could be another problem. I'll clean it this weekend and report back.
Thanks again!

If its not that, is your a/c or front defogger on when it happens? Sometimes the compressor cycles on and off which may move it a little but it should generally go right back to normal.

Bringing this back from two years ago.

I still have the problem and I changed my idle air control valve. The problem is more consistent when it is warm or hot and really humid out side. (It never happens in the winter.) The idle problem is noticeable when driving too, its almost like the cruise control is on. Would a bad sensor some where cause the issue or a dirty throttle body?

I replaced the throttle position sensor and the car idles so much better.

Man that fix was a long time coming lol. Glad to hear you figured it out though

It sure was. I read a post about the TPS a couple of weeks ago and thought I would try a new sensor and it worked. The idle issue wasn't too bad this summer so I didn't think about too much but the new sensor made such a huge difference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back